Who has done it 350 chevy engine conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:cheers:Sorry to add to the problem of a new thread. I've searched the build up thread. Can anyone tell me who on their engine swap has used an older TBI 350. Seems most people use the vortec. Maybe this tells me something...
But more importantly, I would like to know who has just used the Mark's adapter with using all the stock transmission and clutch.
Im interested on how the stock 4-speed manual meshes with the power of the 350. Like I said sorry about the post.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Im interested on how the stock 4-speed manual meshes with the power of the 350. Like I said sorry about the post.
Thanks

Welcome.

The Chev 350 and H42 are a great combination. Find someone that has done the conversion and operate the vehicle if they will let you.

You will be sold in moments on the conversion.

:beer:

Like Poser said, a Chevy 350 and your 4 speed will get along just fine. Although the Vortecs are newer science, I really have not seen how they are outperforming the older TBI's, possibly some better milage and a few extra ponies---but TBI's love off road terrain. If you need some questions answered on the wiring or VSS, give me a call!!!
Jim
(562)949-9494

I did the 350 TBI to A440 conversion in a 92 fj80, cant tell you how the toyota clutch holds up, but i can tell you you will like the TBI 350. The most dificult part was sorting out tranny problems due to the adapter or flywheel not putting the torque converter in far enough. Wiring wasnt bad though. Just the little stuff like tach and gauges and getting the details worked out.

The stock vortec has about 40-50 hp over the TBI, but the TBI is a simpler system and a little easier to work on in the field. The Toy stuff is plenty strong.

I run a TPI 350 and it kicks ass.

Dynosoar:zilla:

A TBI 5.7 swap would be eaiser than the vortecs... Only issue I know of with TBI is that the ECM are not programmable...they have chips that can be burned for them. I belive you need a ECM from a manual trans TBI vehicle if you plan to run that in your yota. I would run the GM clutch and flywheel but would be fine with the yota 4 speed or 5 speed manual. I also think all the TBI engines came with the 700R4 trans when automatics used. TBI would be simple to do and parts cheaper too, eaiser to work on and is very dependable. Only issue with TBI is the lack of decent power for a 5.7, but that would be fine for the 60. TBI are not picky abou tthe o2 sensors, or lack of cat converters. I think the yota 4 speed can take anything a TBI 5.7 can dish out.

TBI 5.7 would be a good choice.... sort out what you need on the ECM as far as if you need a specific ECM to mate with manual trans. I think painless makes an engine harness for that setup. TBI are very dependable and have few if any problems. I was looking for one when I came across a deal on a vortec 5.7. You can save some $$ on a TBI rather than runnin a vortec 5.7 or one of the newer 5.3 or 6.0 engines.

I currently run a TBI 350 on am NV4500 trans. It is not a typical TBI motor, as they were, in my opinion, incapable of pulling a greasy string out of a duck's a$$ going downhill. I found a website, tbichips.com that inspired me so I went for it. There are several projects on that site that you could copy and most of the programing work would already be done. 300 to 350 horse TBI motors are easily and inexpensively obtainable. As far a adapters to the stock trans go, I put 100K on my motor as a carbed engine mated to an H55F via a Mark's bellhousing adapter. It worked well and left the trans and T-case in their stock locations. I advise NOT getting a used one as the original versions had some issues with eating pilot bushings and bearings; later revisions addressed that and effectively remedied the flaw. (I purchased the updated parts after bushing number two was devoured) The Toyota gear boxes are super stout and will not mind it a bit if you double the HP and torque through them. (You might consider the cost of the adapter vs. an NV4500 that is virtually indestructable and has fantastic ratios for a V-8 application.) The installation of the TBI was not difficult to do, mainly because I got a stock harness and studied it for months as I labeled and modified it in my office when I got bored. That led to a far greater understanding of how it works than if I had bought a ready-to-go wire harness. I have never had any issues with fuel supply and I have run it down fairly low, like about a gallon or a bit more, left in the tank. That is with an external pump mounted on the frame rail in fron of the rear axle.

I have a 60 and i am tossing the idea of doing a v8 swap if i don't sell it. For those who done 350 TBI, how much did it cost you guys? motor, mountes, conversion kit, wires, etc...?

you can buy stand alone aftermarket engine harnesses....that's the best way to go. They don't interface with the truck harness, which is a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom