Who has a 3" exhaust? I have questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title implies, I'm going to a 3" exhaust with my
Diesel swap and am wondering if there are any space/fitment issues with a 3" exhaust?

Probably would have been the better place to search, thanks @Douglas S

if you planning going all the way to the back .. can be challenging .. or ..

20170303153010-914ad84a-me.jpg

later I add some flex sections to easy the engine vibrations ..

3" fits fine, run it inside the chassis if you can as it makes it a lot straighter coming out of the turbo, well, in the case of a 1HD-# anyhow.
3.5" has been done before and apparantly it's pretty tight.

I run a 3" inside the frame and over the back cross member, I have a 1" body lift too

3" over the frame and no problems yet with the rear axle. Stock suspension and body mounts. Use the 93-94 heat shield where it crosses over the frame or make your own.

3" here in the past with a 1fz. Over the frame after cat and had no fitment issues. It is tight and the heat shield is a good idea. 3" springs and no BL.

new 3'' cat-back exhaust

Last edited:
I have 3" over the frame rail with a heat shield. Getting it right requires an artist - there isn't much extra clearance over that frame rail. If/when I do it over again, I'm dropping down to 2.5" pipe. But then, I'm not on diesel.

I appreciate the insights everyone, nice to know that a 3" will cross over the frame. I am going to be ghetto for a bit on my exhaust. I'm going to run it to the original frame crossover as a 3" and adapt it down to the stock exhaust for now. Just a short term solution, I will figure out my muffler and resonator and order some more stainless mandrel bends when I know what I will need to do the job right. Meanwhile I have the normal motor swap issues to resolve like getting it running right and dialing everything in. I wil be addressing some other stuff also.

Hi LandCruisinMy93, mine is diesel here is my post:
HDJ80/1HDT 3 Inches Exhaust / Magnaflow

I did not pass it all the way back, I just sent it to the right side, all that matters is to not lower it too much (might hit rocks) and don't put it too out (it can burn your friends legs). I saved $ this way, and sounds awesome and I feel that I gained some HPs.

@MauricioR that does sound pretty beastly. I am looking for the opposite, however, I'm wanting quiet as I can get. Even have the anti-noise capsule for the engines oil pan to keep the diesel rattle down. Looking to replace the whole system including a muffler and resonator to minimize noise and
Droning.

@MauricioR that does sound pretty beastly. I am looking for the opposite, however, I'm wanting quiet as I can get. Even have the anti-noise capsule for the engines oil pan to keep the diesel rattle down. Looking to replace the whole system including a muffler and resonator to minimize noise and
Droning.

I use a inexpensive muffler it's to quiet

Droning.

It all depends on which muffler do you use. My Magnaflow is almost straight (race muffler), you can get a multi-chamber muffler maybe with 3 chambers or more, in that you will have high flow / low noise.

To give you an idea:

PD: I don't hear anything with the windows up.

I have a magnaflow 3" cat.

For a muffler, I'm using one of these:
Turbo Chambered Mufflers

On my (gas) FZJ80 it wasn't quite enough so I added a resonator tip at the end of it:
Resonator Exhaust Tips

What I'm fighting with now on it is the seals between the Y pipe and the manifolds - they keep blowing out. When the whole system is properly sealed up, it's not bad - a bit of drone, but not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom