Who else is buying a new or even used when available (last of the mohicans!) 2021 LC 200 series as last model year? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I was just curious as I made the decision to buy my dream vehicle, the 200 series again (i did own shortly before moving to NYC) in 2015. Anyway, we all know the 300 series is coming and we know it will most likely have a V6 turbo engine and will look different. I am sure it will be incredible but.....

No one knows exactly what it will be, but we all do know 99% anyway, this is the last year of the 200 series.

Two questions for the group please:

1. Are any of you planning to buy the last year model of this 200 series because you want to own the last 200 series model?
2. What will history say/think/value about the 200 series in 10 years. How will it be remembered well into the 300 series production.

I have mine on order and hoping it arrives in a few weeks.

I plan to keep mine "forever" and I have looked at every other option for a large SUV. In fact, I went though every option out there (or most) and will post another post soon with the thought process/strengths/weaknesses of other competitors as I see them.

I am a huge Toyota guy, since I was a teenager. I have owned 5 Toyotas (old supra, 4runners, mr2 and LC) over my lifetime and my dream car was to always own and daily drive a land cruiser. I own a GT3 but I rarely drive it, like almost never so this LC will essentially be the only car my wife and I own/use.

I am super excited to be part of this great forum.
PS-If anyone/member/friend needs anything in the Tampa Bay/Clearwater area, I am most happy to help with anything, look at a LC, etc, very happy to help. I also have a very close relationship with the GM of a major Toyota dealer and he's a super nice guy and I would be happy to make a call/or put in a word for anyone here who is looking for a new LC or any toyota for that matter.

Thanks and I look forward to the comments and thoughts from my post..
Eric

Hi everyone,

I was just curious as I made the decision to buy my dream vehicle, the 200 series again (i did own shortly before moving to NYC) in 2015. Anyway, we all know the 300 series is coming and we know it will most likely have a V6 turbo engine and will look different. I am sure it will be incredible but.....

No one knows exactly what it will be, but we all do know 99% anyway, this is the last year of the 200 series.

Two questions for the group please:

1. Are any of you planning to buy the last year model of this 200 series because you want to own the last 200 series model?
2. What will history say/think/value about the 200 series in 10 years. How will it be remembered well into the 300 series production.

I have mine on order and hoping it arrives in a few weeks.

I plan to keep mine "forever" and I have looked at every other option for a large SUV. In fact, I went though every option out there (or most) and will post another post soon with the thought process/strengths/weaknesses of other competitors as I see them.

I am a huge Toyota guy, since I was a teenager. I have owned 5 Toyotas (old supra, 4runners, mr2 and LC) over my lifetime and my dream car was to always own and daily drive a land cruiser. I own a GT3 but I rarely drive it, like almost never so this LC will essentially be the only car my wife and I own/use.

I am super excited to be part of this great forum.
PS-If anyone/member/friend needs anything in the Tampa Bay/Clearwater area, I am most happy to help with anything, look at a LC, etc, very happy to help. I also have a very close relationship with the GM of a major Toyota dealer and he's a super nice guy and I would be happy to make a call/or put in a word for anyone here who is looking for a new LC or any toyota for that matter.

Thanks and I look forward to the comments and thoughts from my post..
Eric
Thanks Eric,

I share your thought process. Ordered a 2020 HE and got it in March. My 2010 LC is staying in the stable but going to a family farm for duty when I fly in there. I considered everything out there and came back to the Cruiser. Happy to owe it (Again!) and will be looking forward to seeing what they do in the US with the 300 Series.

Bought a 2020 for this reason and got $10k off of sticker price right before demand for them shot up.

My folks bought a 2020 LX for the same reason as well.

Between the 04 and 20 Cruisers and 14 and 20 LX we should be set for a few generations.

Toyota can keep their turbo V6 - regardless of performance.

I have no idea why US LC200 owners are all drooling about the 4.5L TT diesel that is offered overseas (that have their fair share of problems especially for something that is from Toyota), but when a TT gas v6 is coming out for the 300 they are immediately disinterested saying it will be too complex, etc. This is the same company that has built some legendary stuff with turbos. Even so, I can bet the V6 with TT is underworked. I can also bet the same people out there today who are saying no to turbos are the same ones who have never been around them or have any experience wrenching on them. Turbo engines aren't scary, its not year 2002 Audi anymore, when one of the most reliable turbo engines right now out there is their 4.0TT.

The 300 is going to be better than the 200 in every single way. Bet.

No, one of the last cars I would buy is a 2020+ LC200. Its a 13 year old platform at this time. Buying a 13 year old decent condition one is not that much of an experience change over buying one brand new. Buying a 2020/2021 Land Cruiser is insanely poor value in my opinion. Part of buying a new vehicle is you're paying a premium for development and innovation, of which there has been none for 13 years if youre buying a new LC200. A 2021 virtually drives exactly the same as a 2013.

Slightly OT I bought one of the last T100 in 98. Kept it 22 years and just sold it. I bought it not because it was the last year it was made but because that is what I wanted at the time and could afford. It was a fine vehicle, I liked the V6, the topper sucked (but that is not Toyota). I replaced it with 2015 LC, bought it because I did not like some of features of the newer 2016- and it again it what was I could afford (bought it used this spring with 35K miles). If the 300 had the features I wanted and I could afford it I would buy it. But at this point it is ain't here ...

I have no idea why US LC200 owners are all drooling about the 4.5L TT diesel that is offered overseas (that have their fair share of problems especially for something that is from Toyota), but when a TT gas v6 is coming out for the 300 they are immediately disinterested saying it will be too complex, etc. This is the same company that has built some legendary stuff with turbos. Even so, I can bet the V6 with TT is underworked. I can also bet the same people out there today who are saying no to turbos are the same ones who have never been around them or have any experience wrenching on them. Turbo engines aren't scary, its not year 2002 Audi anymore, when one of the most reliable turbo engines right now out there is their 4.0TT.

No, one of the last cars I would buy is a 2020+ LC200. Its a 13 year old platform at this time. Buying a 13 year old decent condition one is not that much of an experience change over buying one brand new. Buying a 2020/2021 Land Cruiser is insanely poor value in my opinion. Part of buying a new vehicle is you're paying a premium for development and innovation, of which there has been none for 13 years if youre buying a new LC200. A 2021 virtually drives exactly the same as a 2013.

That is your opinion at this point.

At this juncture - it’s not confirmed it will even be offered for sale in the US.

There aren’t that many people drooling over the 4.5TD, and many of them will abandon it when they realize how low power it is or what it would cost.

Meanwhile, plenty on this board are excited about the v6TT, though I’m not one of them. I’m not sure what your point was by pointing out that the 4.0TT is “one of the most reliable turbo engines”.. compared to turbo engines, so what? Yes turbo engines can be made reliable and that will be my expectation for anything toyota builds but I argue that they won’t be as durable as NA due to the high specific output and thermal loads, not to mention drastically increased complexity. There is a lot more sensitive s*** to break on a direct injected turbo gas engine than on a port-injected NA one. Oh and we’ll see where those fuel savings go when people simulate hauling a loaded trailer 24/7 by adding armor, tires, traction boards, lift, RTT, etc.
A 2021 cruiser looks MUCH better than a 2013 IMO (and I have a 13), and adds safety stuff for the family minded. Oh, and if you want a NEW landcruiser to eliminate any question of your vehicle’s history 20/21/maybe a 19 is your only option. Yah, they drive virtually identically but find me a zero mile 2013.

Or maybe they want to build it and don’t want to wait six years for parts to start being developed.

No one is saying the next cruiser won’t be great.. some are just saying based on the rumors they prefer the current one. I don’t see why that’s such a bold statement.

I would bet if you search, you will find a thread with this same subject around 2007 in the 100-series section. Mudders crying about the new 200-series looking like a Highlander, too many computers, blah blah blah.

Don't think MUD was around much in 1997, but I bet if you could search through the old LCML archives, you'd find people posting the same topic, about the 80-series. Much hand wringing and despair about the impending loss of the solid front axle. The "last real Land Cruiser". Blah blah blah.

And so it goes.

You should buy a 2021 because you like the 200 series and want a new one. Not because of 300 rumors or last model year.

As for the 300 series, you’re still speculating. When it debuts, then I’ll make the decision to pass or to have both 200 and 300 series.

Enjoy your new car :)

Personally, i do not find any of LC200’s deficiencies to be significant enough to prevent me from buying new.

What is wrong with a 13-year old platform? Does it ride like sh!t? Nope. Does it crumple like a Nissan Quest in a crash test? No. Does it rattle like a tin can? Nada. Does it handle poorly for it’s size/purpose? Not really...i posted MotorTrend figure 8 times a while back...LC200 is not at the top but not last either. Does the frame break from tow stress like you see on Jeep Gladiator? Not one case in 13 years.

Sure, Apple CarPlay would be nice. Fuel economy could be better....but damn it, i love the 5.7 V8! Real wood in the LC would be nice. :D Oh and those damn weakass seatbelt retractors!

But frankly, none of that keeps me up at night. While others wait for LC300, I just enjoy the hell out of my antiquated LC200.

Last edited:
Personally, i do not find any of LC200’s deficiencies to be significant enough to prevent me from buying new.

What is wrong with a 13-year old platform? Does it ride like sh!t? Nope. Does it crumple like a Nissan Quest in a crash test? No. Does it rattle like a tin can? Nada. Does it handle poorly for it’s size/purpose? Not really...i posted MotorTrend figure 8 times a while back...LC200 is not at the top but not last either. Does the frame break from tow stress like you see on Jeep Gladiator? Not one case in 13 years.

Sure, Apple CarPlay would be nice. Fuel economy could be better....but damn it, i love the 5.7 V8! Real wood in the LC would be nice. :D Oh and those damn weakass seatbelt retractors!

But frankly, none of that keeps me up at night. While others wait for LC300, I just enjoy the hell out of my antiquated LC200.
This exactly.

And @KLF you are right for sure. Part of why "we" were so jealous of australia and their 105s. But now with some hindsight and a 200, I'd rather have IFS for what I do anyway.

I thought about waiting a year instead of buying my 2020 Heritage, but I decided not to wait for a few reasons. First, the issues have had time to be worked out or at least elucidated on the 200 series. Second, aftermarket parts and experience have had adequate time to become readily available. Third, the truck meets my needs, and I can't imagine any improvements significant enough to make a difference. I'm expecting some additional digital toys, which can probably all be replicated now through the aftermarket. I'm also expecting a more fuel-efficient engine but at a certain cost. I'd take it for the sake of the environment, but the difference isn't enough to delay my current purchase. As for styling, I have low expectations, based on what I'm seeing coming out these days. I'd rather take the current plain box and make it my own. Finally, most updates become outdated anyway in 5 years anyway, and eventually having the latest isn't the same as having the greatest.

I'm considering a 2021 HE in classic silver. Wish they offered the option of black BBS wheels - but the Bronze may look better on Silver than I'm imagining. I'd prefer the cool box and 3rd row so hoping these will be available on the HE?

Coming from a person that has worked at multiple tier one and two manufacturer. I would not buy a “last” production year vehicle. Especially on that has lasted as long as this series. Tooling wears out, materials become short, contracts run out, suppliers change. There is always a scramble near the end to get parts. I’ve heard from good sources (actual suppliers) that they’ll start send non-conforming product just to make shipments at the end of life.

footnote: I’ve been involved with a lot of domestic and foreign automobile manufacturers... Toyota has NOT been one of them.... most of the others, American, German and Japanese are well represented In my “sample size”.

Coming from a person that has worked at multiple tier one and two manufacturer. I would not buy a “last” production year vehicle. Especially on that has lasted as long as this series. Tooling wears out, materials become short, contracts run out, suppliers change. There is always a scramble near the end to get parts. I’ve heard from good sources (actual suppliers) that they’ll start send non-conforming product just to make shipments at the end of life.

footnote: I’ve been involved with a lot of domestic and foreign automobile manufacturers... Toyota has NOT been one of them.... most of the others, American, German and Japanese are well represented In my “sample size”.
Maybe I have an unrealistic view of the cruiser but my understanding is this vehicle is a serious point of pride for toyota, and they put these on their best lines with their best workers and give them extra time to make sure they are right. All after the extra they spend on R&D designing them.
If any major manufacturers vehicle should be immune to the situation you describe it seems like these would.. but then I guess it comes down to dollars (yen?) at the end of the day.

Have any data to support that claim? I have a hard time believing Mr T would compromise on its halo vehicle.

It’s also easy to say you wouldn’t buy the first generation of an entire redesign but look at the amount of 2007 Tundras and 2008 Cruisers with well over 250k miles without any “new model” teething issues.

Training employees on new assembly techniques, complex parts etc is FAR harder than managing a fleet of “tired” robots.

Traded 2013 with 2020 with all options ticked. Good for another 7-10 yrs of adventures
60B591E8-1A7D-40C0-8BB7-FD452847A087.jpeg

I ran Toyota global supply chain for a while back in late 2000s. Wat u described does not apply to Toyota Lexus. It’s all about long term philosophy relationship, and Toyota manufacturing/quality control standards/metrics go up every year vs down.

I'm considering a 2021 HE in classic silver. Wish they offered the option of black BBS wheels - but the Bronze may look better on Silver than I'm imagining. I'd prefer the cool box and 3rd row so hoping these will be available on the HE?
I'm with you on black rims, but if you want a cool box (and rear seats), it seems like you might be better off with the regular model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom