Who else has ripped out all their interior for sound deadening and running wire? Any gotchas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I'm undertaking a project to sound deaden the truck and run wires for 12v outlets and rear accessories, and so on. I'm going to replace my front seats as well.

Are there many gotchas associated with this project? I'd prefer it if this all went back together the way it was at the end, you know? Without breaking a bunch of clips or peeling off adhesives I'm not supposed to.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

As a side note: Sound deadener is heavy! There's gotta be 40 lbs of material here.

-- Beej

Nothing special. I start with entire center console, expect to find $$$ there. Don't forget to put gearshift in neutral when taking that part of console out, then put back into park.

I broke some of the small plastic clips when I pulled out the plastic trim. Parts store can sell them by the bucket load. Easy to just take the broken one out of the holder and snap in a new one. Other than taking your time, it is pretty straight forward.

i had mine out a couple years ago. i'll do it again probably next year when i go to a different ham setup, fix a few wiring things and powerwash the carpet again. not a huge issue at all.

definitely power wash your carpet if it hasn't been done. makes a huge difference and you'll be surprised at the amount of crap that comes out of the carpet

I did this a few weeks back and replaced the carpet with a new one from stock interiors. Other than what has already been said you will need to watch how thick the material is around the mounting areas for the seats. Or the seat brackets won't fit.

I noticed the largest sound difference in adding liner material to the inside metal of all the doors. Really made a big difference for me.

gotchas? not really, just a whole lot of time and work. I pulled my whole interior, dynamat and used noico foam layer. It made a huge difference. I also did the doors with dynamat. Truck rides like a safe now. IMO, you need to not only use dynamat but also some type of absorption material like peel and stick noico foam layers. My carpet also came really clean after a good scrub on the driveway with simple green and a brush. I planned all my internal electronics and what exactly I wanted to do with the interior so I did not ever have to pull it all apart again. I would say that is the biggest gotcha, not having to redo the dissasembly.

How was the quality of the carpet? I have been considering it for a while.

I did this a few weeks back and replaced the carpet with a new one from stock interiors. Other than what has already been said you will need to watch how thick the material is around the mounting areas for the seats. Or the seat brackets won't fit.

I'm going to lay the foam under the mat.

Like others have said I only noticed a difference with the doors. The doors sounds much more solid when you close them. I probably wouldn't do the entire truck again.

I did this on my '97 LX everywhere I could get access to on the interior and then put one layer of EZKool ccf insulation except for the trans hump and here I put two layers. I used it for the plastic door barrier as well. It has made a major difference in cutting noise down from the exterior as well as keeping all the sound emanating from the interior inside the cabin.
I would do it again no problem. Time consuming and a little expensive, I went through three boxes of the large bulk packs, aprrox. 36 sf each, totaling 118 sf. I had litlle bit left over. The EZKool I would highly recommend as it is fairly thin and easy to work with, taping all seams with aluminum hvac tape. I bought a 48" x 50' roll of it and used almost the entire roll.

DSCN3317.JPG

DSCN3323.JPG

people saying they didn't notice a difference with just dynamat is because it doesn't really reduce road noise as some people have said. You need something like a mlv (mass loaded vinyl) to do that

exactly, dynamat is not going to absorb noise, it will only deaden it. The dynamat will stop resonance, or vibration of the panel. Carpet and foam are needed to absorb the road noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom