Who Daily Drives their 100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why wouldn't you daily drive it?
I average upper 13’s mpg in my combined daily commute. Almost 18mpg on the 1,000 mile road trip camping we took last month.

We used to daily drive our 100, then we got a 200 and daily drive that. The 100 is being built... for fun. Currently is triple locked, Ironman lift and full set of slee skids, Arb bumper and warn winch, currently saving up for sliders and rear bumper.
Both land cruisers have over 200k on them.
I daily drive a Ram triple locked 3500... for work.
All that to say I drive my 100 every chance I get. Also, what we spend on fuel every month is irresponsible.... o_O

Why wouldn't you daily drive it?

Zackly! If I wasn't going to drive it every day I wouldn't see any need in owning it. There is nothing better to own, IMO.

I daily drove mine for the first 5 years of ownership. I realized I wanted the preserve it for weekend and vacation fun trips for many years, so I picked up a mint BMW e39 to take over daily driver duties. Now the 100 is the garage queen and gets about 3-4K miles a year. I look forward to driving it on the weekends!

Currently I do not daily the 100, my luxury beater is an 04 LS. It's hard to beat that vehicle to be honest. However according to she who must be obeyed the LS will get shuffled out of the rotation when she gets her new vehicle for her job. She won't let me sell her old F150 for sentimental reasons so that will become mine. At that point there is a definite risk of the built 100 becoming my daily for a while. I do enjoy all the " did you cross any rivers on the way to work" snorkel references from my co-workers though so that will be good 🤣
The good news is I may be finally achieving some success in persuading the wife that a good used 200 series would be a better choice for her business than a new explorer. If she finally gives in, that will end up being mine in couple of years after the tax advantages have been exhausted ;)

I drive it mostly every day by choice not necessity. I have a newer full size pick up with heaps more power, but the 100 delivers the most enjoyment.

Same here, my Tundra is twice as fast but the LX is just refined and smooth for my 60 mile daily commute. I also have a Benz but i always have a fear of it breaking down so i only use that for around town and not to work.

The poster is asking who's daily driving their rigs and everyone chimes-in who's NOT? I daily-drive mine to the tune of about 20k miles a year.

Mine is a toy, not a dd

Sure, I figured the guys who have off-road toy builds or 56 cars would be the only ones who don't. But the way the question was asked almost made it sound as though it's some sort of exotic car it would be unusual to drive daily. At least in my high end car forums and fb groups that's usually why that question is asked. Scrolling up I see I wasn't the only one who had that same impression lol.

I daily drive it. I have a relatively short commute. If I had to drive farther, I'd probably drive the SAAB convertible.

While I don't have a long commute the video shows part of it. Thick talcum powder dust during the dry season and lots of water during the rainy season. Video of commute after a short rain. Far cry from the feet of snow when living in the mountains of NH.

Sure, I figured the guys who have off-road toy builds or 56 cars would be the only ones who don't. But the way the question was asked almost made it sound as though it's some sort of exotic car it would be unusual to drive daily. At least in my high end car forums and fb groups that's usually why that question is asked. Scrolling up I see I wasn't the only one who had that same impression lol.
Some people just have more than one car and don't use their 100 series on a daily. You don't need to have a built "rig" to not daily drive it.
Mine is a toy, not a dd
Will that even be street legal when it's done? Legit question.

One of the contractors at my old job had a built 4dr JK on 40's (originally built for Bears Player Matt Forte). I drove it a couple of times and it felt like I was driving a monster truck. Felt completely out of place driving on the street, not only because it was the worst riding vehicle I've ever been in (it felt like every bump was going to shake it apart) but also the width/wheel fitment made it super tight to keep in the lane. Needless to say, he sold it in less than a year because it was not practical to even drive once a week. I felt scared driving it up to 45mph, can't imagine on the highway.

Some people just have more than one car and don't use their 100 series on a daily. You don't need to have a built "rig" to not daily drive it.

Will that even be street legal when it's done? Legit question.

One of the contractors at my old job had a built 4dr JK on 40's (originally built for Bears Player Matt Forte). I drove it a couple of times and it felt like I was driving a monster truck. Felt completely out of place driving on the street, not only because it was the worst riding vehicle I've ever been in (it felt like every bump was going to shake it apart) but also the width/wheel fitment made it super tight to keep in the lane. Needless to say, he sold it in less than a year because it was not practical to even drive once a week. I felt scared driving it up to 45mph, can't imagine on the highway.
Yes, definitely street legal. So is marshmallow.

Road dynamics are very hard to get right with lifted rigs. Caster, roll axis, scrub, spring rates, track bar jacking, etc. Most people just ignore one or most of those things and end up with something terrifying. 'Flex' is easy.

Yes, definitely street legal. So is marshmallow.

Road dynamics are very hard to get right with lifted rigs. Caster, roll axis, scrub, spring rates, track bar jacking, etc. Most people just ignore one or most of those things and end up with something terrifying. 'Flex' is easy.
I agree with that. I remember talking to the owner of the bodyshop that built that JK (my dad worked there for 20 years). It was all built for show completely ignoring alot of things that would be required for it to actually go offroad. It was still on the stock axles lol. The original owner just wanted it to look cool I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom