Who can polish a cylinder valve cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I dont know maybe this should belongs to chat and dont tell me Oh you can D.I.Y it - I know :flipoff2: I polished my own manifold and all of the stainless on other car and it took way, way, way longer than I could have imagined. I have too many other projects going so I want to see if I can just send this thing out to somebody and get it done. It's 1FZ Cylinder Valve Cover.
Any recommendations? Prefer Southern Cal area.

Thank you

LX - this may be a place to start at least (http://www.brainstormperformance.us/bsp.html). They should at least know someone that can do this if they don't offer it through their shop. By the way, they are an authorized Air Power Systems (Safari turbo and Uni-Chip) dealer with 4-wheel dyno, etc. A little high end but $$$ talks, right?

find a mold polisher in LA. Just make sure you tell them which surfaces to polish, and which ones to stay away from.

I use a guy up here in Oxnard for all my molds.

Another possibility would be an aluminum wheel manufacturer out there....American Racing, Superior, to name a couple. They have casting facilities out there, and the process to 'bling-ize' :rolleyes: prior to chrome plating is to buff 'em smooth.

Good luck!

LX_TREME said:
I dont know maybe this should belongs to chat and dont tell me Oh you can D.I.Y it - I know :flipoff2: I polished my own manifold and all of the stainless on other car and it took way, way, way longer than I could have imagined. I have too many other projects going so I want to see if I can just send this thing out to somebody and get it done. It's 1FZ Cylinder Valve Cover.
Any recommendations? Prefer Southern Cal area.

Thank you

I painted mine with Black Hammerite and polished the numbers and letters. I think it looks better, but I'm not much of a shiney kind of guy....
SC-1.5.jpg

I have not polished the valve cover but I grind a lot of aluminum

here is how I would go about it
remove vavle cover, remove gasket and spark plug tube seals, remove PCV baffle. clean and degrease the underside and baffleso it does not trap abrasives

1. die grinder with brown scoth brite pad pad until you get to the bottom of all the pits.
2. die grinder with red scoth brite pad pad to take out scratches from brown pad
3. die grinder with gray or blue scoth brite pad pad to take out scratches from red pad
4. rubbing compound by hand to smooth out scratches from gray pad
5. polishing compound by hand to make final finish

make sure you get all previous scratches out before moving to next fner step

clean all parts making sure you remove all grit, install new seals and glue in the baffle

clear coat so it stays polished for a couple years.

would probably take several hours, possibly a full day, working arround the lettering and iregularities would be a problem.

seams easier to just paint it,

I went the powder coat route in bright red with polished numbers and letters. It really makes the twin cam cover stick out. I paid $100.00 to have it coated.

A local polishing shop quoted me $30 to do a 2F valve cover to a true state of polish. I'm sure a 1FZ cover would be more, but given how much time it takes, I think it may be worth letting a pro do it.

This guy suggested I not powdercoat it, as it make repolishing much more difficult in the future. I suppose this depends on whether the truck sees much salt exposure or heavy use.

Steve

MSGGrunt said:
I went the powder coat route in bright red with polished numbers and letters.

Pics?

-B-

Who can polish a cylinder valve cover ?

I can.

Er, well my crew can. I just recently changed careers and became a partner in a metal plating business. We do chrome plating for the motorcycle industry; Harley Davidson, Arlen Ness, Bourget Bike Works and anodizing for the tech industry.

Most chrome plating shops can professionally polish an aluminum valve cover without much difficulty. Orange County Plating is one of our competitors down in southern california who do excellent work. I'm sure there are several other job shops near you who could take this on. Search the yellow pages or the net for chrome or metal finishing.

I would offer to set you up, however we recently moved away from one-off retail work to strictly large-volume contract work. Shipping would also kill the deal. Good Luck with the Bling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom