Who can build me an FJ62 with a 80 chassis? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can't find a decent shop that can do it for me. Please come forward, and let's talk about it. I would like to make the conversion anytime soon.

Thank you

All 60 series owners (including me coming from 80 series DNA) are smitten with this concept...!

The 2 guys I have helping now want me to do add this as a "standard service"... Just not sure I'm wanting to do this just yet.

J

We would all be next level if we converted our 60 series to coils

I can relate, who wouldn't want a 69 Mustang Mach 1 with the drivetrain of a 2018 Cobra. If your pockets are deep you can have anything you want. With that being said, I drive a 60 because I don't want a Raptor , Taco, Rubicon or anything else modern.:cheers:

TLC last time I checked 3 yr wait before they can start, with a big chunk of money down 1 yr out before your start. You provide the 60/62 and the 80,starting price is 180 k. So yes bring a big check book.lol
Torfab has done several of the 140/142 builds. don't know his price,both shops do awesome work .
For me its the ultimate blend of looks and performance, my 2 cents worth.

but the OP want the 60 series look and body ..?

So get an 80 series then the 60 retro front....?

Doesn't make sense to me. The 60 is what it is, swap the drivetrain or gearing to modify to your needs, but if your needs is a more comfortable and tight land cruiser. then just buy the version. that fits that need. Meaning at what point do you stop? Chasis, suspension, steering is better in an 80. As is power. Seats are more comfortable and you have a third row. The sliding rear windows are a big plus....

As a side note - we had a 3x locked 80 series (also a 40, another 100, and a current 01 LX). I also had an 86 mr2 with a full 91 MR2 drivetrain that I swapped in, but if I wanted a 2nd gen chasis, I would have purchased a 2nd gen.

80 series frame is much heavier and beefy. If you plan to run a ton of hp it might be needed.

Three shops I know of have recently grafted 80 suspension only onto the 60 frame. Reducing the amount of time/labor/parts needed to pretty much execute the same thing.

I recommend talking to would be @torfab (Torfab) and @ddelong6767 (Wellsorted)

They both are headed to CruiseMoab (this week?)and are running 60/62’s with these swaps done. I’m hoping they have video of these rigs on the trails (common Adam & Doug!)

I’m personally have added a Leaf spring 80 series axle out back and would interested in running a coil spring 80 axle in the front (a la 70 series style) check out @bdyer12’s sick build on his 87 of this.

Word is it handles very well.

Part of the allure of a 60 series to me is the unrefined feel of it. Which I am sure also applies to 55 owners saying of 60s..

Coils are a nicer ride. And the 80 series was the height of solid axles and coils, probably the most capable of all cruisers.

You could do what everyone else on this forum does which is buy a welder and do it yourself :meh:

The allure of the 140/142 is not all that hard to figure out. Many consider the 60 series body far superior to that of the 80. The 80 series is widely considered to be one of the best, if not the best OEM suspensions for off road ever built and certainly more comfortable on road than a leaf sprung 60 series. So putting a 60 body on an 80 roller is the obvious conclusion for a great many people.

In the rest of the automotive world this is referred to as a Resto mod and if you have not been paying attention, Resto Mods are the King of the hill currently. Someone mentioned not wanting an older Mustang on a newer Mustang chassis. You would be in the minority. Body of choice on something like an Art Morrison Chassis with a new age drive line and some electronic add ons are the big sellers at classic car auctions. The term Reacher is used to describe these vehicles which are set up for every day duty and long trips. Buying a fully restored anything is still popular, but today's buyers do not want to park it and look at it, they want to drive it.

The cool thing is, no matter what your preference, be it stock or a full on Resto Mod there are plenty of trucks out there for everyone.

In addition, almost every customer that has work done at my shop states the same thing early on in the conversation. "I do not want a new Tahoe, I want my 30 plus year old Land Cruiser to run and stop like a new vehicle" They also want it to be quieter, "tighter" and have some (NOT ALL) of the electronic items found in new vehicles. When you look at the cost of a new SUV the price to custom build and old truck is right in the same ball park (I do not build $180K vehicles).

Last edited:
80 series frame is much heavier and beefy. If you plan to run a ton of hp it might be needed.

Three shops I know of have recently grafted 80 suspension only onto the 60 frame. Reducing the amount of time/labor/parts needed to pretty much execute the same thing.

I recommend talking to would be @torfab (Torfab) and @ddelong6767 (Wellsorted)

They both are headed to CruiseMoab (this week?)and are running 60/62’s with these swaps done. I’m hoping they have video of these rigs on the trails (common Adam & Doug!)

I’m personally have added a Leaf spring 80 series axle out back and would interested in running a coil spring 80 axle in the front (a la 70 series style) check out @bdyer12’s sick build on his 87 of this.

Word is it handles very well.

I have ridden in and drove @bdyer12 's 60 with the 80 suspension in the front and it is amazing how smooth it is and how nice it corners on the road. I almost went for this on my 60, hope I don't regret not doing it.

And here I am just wanting a 45 cab on an 80 chassis and a drop sides bed on the back.

....and kicking myself because a couple years ago someone was selling a rolling chassis with engine, trans, transfer, driveshafts and electronics locally for $1000 and I couldn't or didn't snatch it up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom