White smoke, fuel rich exhaust smell. Hydro locked engine. (1 Viewer)

My 1fz was hydro locked when I bought it, due to a bad head gasket. There were no cracks, everything went back together just fine. (I did have the head/valves gone through at a machine shop, and I think they milled it a tiny bit to make sure it was flat) So, my vote is that your head is not automatically cracked.

Mine was #6 cylinder, which seems to be the common one. Not sure if yours being #1 points to a different problem or not.

Yeah, my main hesitation in ripping in is I'm time poor, busy job, and don't currently have space for two cruisers in a garage. And I live in an apartment, so rebuilding an engine is pushing my luck a bit.

It won't be the first time I've repaired a 'catastrophic' engine break down

Indestructible 47

SILVER Star

If it suddenly happened when you were stopped at the lights and it wasn't overheating, I strongly suspect the head gasket. Heads don't normally just go like that if they have not being overheated. And given the the track record of the head gaskets in a 1fz fe....

davegonz

Keeping it Weird
SILVER Star

Sorry to hear that Mudgudgeon. A turbo'd 1HZ might come out costing you the same as rebuilding the 1FZ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom