1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White Shark vs. King Salmon

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by White Shark, Jun 30, 2005.

1. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    The salmon lost. :D

We went out to Bodega Bay and limited on king salmon. I pulled in a couple of respectable fighters at just over 17 lbs and 21 lbs. Not Alaskan lunkers, but fun just the same. We also caught a little Pacific Dogfish (variety of shark). Seeing as how he is a family member, he wanted to pose with a White Shark before going back into the drink.

I also spoke with a guy who had a huge Humpback whale surface and blow spout, right next to his 30' Osprey. He said that he almost passed out from the smell, but the 12' white shark that also surfaced next to his boat, quickly brought him back. The white was looking for an easy salmon or humpback lunch.

The other pic is my father in law pretending to go for salmon sushi. :D

Another successful salmon day. :D

2. e rock

e rock

We always used to cut the end of the tail off dogfish and then let them swim, bleeding, back down to their buddies. Little fish-stealing bastards...

3. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    There were enough bait fish (sardines, herring, and anchovies) flopping on the surface, that I practically could have walked out the 10 miles offshore and 10 backs of their frothing masses. When we cleaned all of the salmon, we found that they were absolutely stuffed on bait fish. It's a wonder they even bit our bait while being stuffed like a Post Christmas Dinner Feast.

4. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Ooooh. 30 foot Osprey....nnniiiiiiicccceee boat.

DougM

5. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah those Ospreys are nice. There are a lot of nice boats in the Bodega fleet. You don't see a lot of aluminum like you see up in Washington and Alaska because we have boat ramps and don't beach on the rocks like up north. We have lots of fiberglass boat.

Bodega has heavy seas and 10'-30' swells are commonplace. Yesterday we were in 7-8' swells and it smoothed out to 4-5', but the odd thing about the Sonoma County Coast is that sneaker waves come rolling through without warning and kill a lot of unaware people. For instance, we were riding out the 7' swell, no big deal, and we're always keeping an eye out for the big ones, when a couple of 20' set wave swells came through. We're in 280+ feet of water, so it was no big deal, but you can get knocked off your feet if you're not paying attention to the motion of the boat caused by these big swells.

Our boats consist of heavy water deep vees and boats that can take heavy chop. There are lots of Ospreys, Boston Whalers, C-Dorys (I don't like them, they ride like a dump truck on a bad road, but they have nice pilot houses), and other heavy water boats. We don't see a lot of the expensive racers that are common in Florida. They stay in and around San Francisco Bay. Bodega is also just north of Point Reyes, the foggiest place on Earth with around 280 foggy days a year. GPS and radar is important. The water is steel gray, and sometimes black when clouded. It's always around 48-50 degrees and unforgiving. What a great place to go fishing. :D

I need to come down to Florida for some tarpon and warm water. That or go to Baja for tuna. :D

6. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

What do you know/think about the Osprey's cheaper cousin - Sea Sport boats? They seem constructed a level below the Ospreys but are way cheaper and a more 'family friendly' layout, yet remain way more capable than your typical consumer boat. I like the 27 Navigator, but without the upper station. Seems like you'd see some of those in a harsh environment like Bodega.

DougM

7. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    We see all sorts of boats out there from the bigger Bayliners to the small trawler style commercial boats. Grady Whites, Whalers, Wellcrafts, and other offshore boats are popular. The Sea Sport boats are really nice. A marina in Alameda, next to Oakland sells Sea Sports. I'd fish out of one. :D

8. calamaridog

calamaridog

Mmm, Salmon. Don't get any down here in San Diego. Of course, I still have tuna in the freezer from late fall.

This year I'm smoking more than I did last year. The smoked tuna goes faster than I can make it and it freezes very well.

I'd love to have some fresh Salmon for the smoker but the closest I've seen them is Morro Bay and I don't get up there every year.

Glad you all had a good trip!

9. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    but you must cutt off the side fin as well.........that way they swim in circles :D

dogfish is OK to eat if you follow the proper method(which I forget) of getting the piss out of it. Its also used for fish and chips in england. there are a few dogfish fisherman out on the sound.

One fish I don't see anymore in the sound is the ratfish, use to be they were everyplace, prolly been 20 years sense I have seen one...........and ya know what? i don't miss those nasty bastards!

Nice kings ya got there :)

10. calamaridog

calamaridog

There is always some sick individual who will eat anything (see gross food thread) but Dogfish is truly disgusting. I doubt any amount of preparation will make it fit to eat.

I'm having a hard time believing the Brits eat the same Dogfish as fish and chips... how sure are you it's the same thing?

11. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    The Philipinos and many of the Asian cultures eat anything that comes out of the water. I limit myself to the standard stuff like abalone, scallops, slamon, lingcod, most rock fish, some shark, you know, the normal stuff. I give the heads away because a lot of people love fish head soup. The Inuit pop the eyes out the second they're out of the water and eat them like candy. No thanks.

Smoked salmon, white rice, and something cold to drink is the way to go. I also like to throw the filets or steaks on the grill with a garlic salt/fresh butter/pepper baste and boy is it good! I think that the 4th weekend will be the time to fire up the grill. :D

12. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    just look at the brits teeth :D

but here ya go
    http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/SpinyDogfish/SpinyDogfish.html

Importance to Humans

Total landings of spiny dogfish peaked in 1974 at 27,400 metric tonnes, followed by a sharp decline, stabilizing at 5,900 mt during the 1980s. In the 1990s, landings rose dramatically, with over 28,000 mt taken in 1996. Spiny dogfish are caught primarily with otter trawls and sink gill nets. This species is used in the popular British dish "fish and chips" as well as marketed for its oil and as fish meal. This species can cause tremendous damage when entangled in commercial nets.