1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White Shark, I need me a general contractor --

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by erics_bruisers, Aug 7, 2005.

1. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

-- too bad you're so far away --

:D

-- plus, I don't think you'd enjoy the company --

[​IMG]

e

2. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

E, are you going to put a rock garden outside in the lawn of your new house to park the cruisers on? :)

3. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

and it's a good thing I don't do single families :D

All I can say is do all the rough-ins for ANY amenity you might think you could possibly want in the future. It's a million times easier to do things when there's no sheetrock on the walls than after paint. I.e. if you think you might want to put built-in speakers in the walls at some point, run the wires now and document where they start and end. Then all you have to do is cut open the holes in the sheetrock and drop the speakers in. Stuff like that is nearly impossible to add later without a TON of headaches.

Ary

4. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    New dog house for the Bullies?

5. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

thank you for this advice --

-- things are looking decent -- we already have the applicances picked out, and are building around them, in a way --

- for the garage, we'll prob. truss it, so there's no annoying poles in and around stuff --

-- right now we're just seeing if we can afford it --

-- and yes, the dogs will have their own room --

-- my dad's a PE, so he's having a holiday with his 10 year old tools --

e

6. Hossdog

Hossdog

4 dogs and 3 cruisers.......one of your dogs must be PISSED.

7. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

the 4th one rides in this --

e

8. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    That's a nice 12/12 snow shedding pitch. Be sure to buy 40 or 50 year shingles if you are going asphalt composite as they are designed for a 4/12 roof and will be prorated down to a 25 or 30 year due to the greater slope. I'm guessing that you are avoiding tile as you are not in the west. I'd look into standing seam metal roofing personally. It's cheap, lasts forever and withstands 100+ mph winds.

I'm also guessing that you're avoiding a perimeter foundation for a slab and concrete or block basement walls. I'd look into the polystyrene reinforced concrete and the insulated forms that stay in place after the pour, effectively increasing the R-Value of the basement walls. Are you installing a thermal floor with in slab heating? Pellet stoves for the upper floors? Just wondering. I'd go 2X6 framing for the R-19 to R-21 insulation.

Wiring in place with stud bay measurements and photographs go a long way when it comes to rewiring, making additions, or installing high end electronics.

I'd also look into getting polyurethane columns for the porch as they are really strong and don't shed paint like their wood counterparts.

Your design looks like a Arts & Crafts style visionary motif. I'd start looking into Craftsman and Stickley furniture. www.stickley.com/

Cool design. I still dislike pitbulls though.... :D

9. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

thanks for this, WS -- i am printing it out and trying to figure it out now --

e

here's the hearth tile we're looking at -- that much I know -- will go with a gas fireplace that has a blower on it and is rated for 1,400 sq-ft -- am sick of wood --

-- also, am going 2x6 on the entire outer framing and roof -- that's a must up here -- am thinking about radiant heating, but that's $$ --

e

10. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

also, am going to do stickley, albeit slowly --

-- the lamp fixtures and stuff that the builder does are the priority now --

e

11. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

go with the radiant heat flooring. it's worth it in the long run.

in addition to pictures of the walls and wires before drywall, go through the entire place with a video camera -- that will help immensely if you need to locate pipes or wires later -- still images are nice, but nothing beats video.

ditto to Arya's suggestion of prewiring as much as possible. My current home was completed with the exception of flooring when I bought it, so I don't have pics of anything...nor did I have to change to run wire as I wanted to (got a great deal on the place though :D )

12. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

this is very good advice -- thanks -- i have always been a fan of the radiant stuff -- we'll prob. have the ducts for the AC come out at the ceiling then --

e

13. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Better than having the AC ducts on the floor...
    Since cold air falls, it does a much better job cooling if the ducts are high.

14. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

yup -- they're 11' ceilings -- better to put 'em up there --

e

15. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    11' ceilings eh?..... You're getting close....

Just a thought..... :D