White Rice, v2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TxCruzr

Wait, this ain't Texas...
Threads
Website
www.webphotos.com
Long story short, the TLC needs some TLC. She was parked at my parents place for the past 5 years or so and was sadly neglected. Now that I finally have a place to work on the old girl it's time to fix some of the cancer and upgrade a few things.

Plans are to:
replace rear 1/4's with Bud Built panels
chop up rockers w/ new rocker protection
throw on some Metaltech tube fenders
go low carb and switch to propane and propane accessories
ditch the cage and crappy plastic seats with a new pimptastic cage and seats
4 link the ass end w/ 1/4 elliptical
and other random stuff that I think of along the way

On the way out to her new home in Arizonah, dad's new 80 heading up the convoy :grinpimp:
Cool pic as we started heading into a storm around Ft. Stockton, Tx.
How she sat before the tear down.
IMAG0002.jpg
towstorm.jpg
IMAG0157.jpg

Last edited:
First off was to get a cross member under the old girl. The old skid plate doubled as a cross member but it was flimsy. Also took the opportunity to get the belly as flat as possible.

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

Apparently you can order Bud Built 1/4 panels without the fuel door cutout...oh well :doh:

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

Now comes the fun :D
Rear sill and bottom of 1/4 panels were pretty rusted out so that had to go...

DSC_0161.jpg

dayum!

DSC_0177.jpg

Had some 4x2 box tubing laying around so it became the new rear sill....I think it'll be strong enough
Has a strip of angle welded slightly below the top for the floor to sit on.

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

Figured why not raise the inner fender wells while I'm here

DSC_0189.jpg

Wrapping things up

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

The tube is going to get bed lined again so I didn't spend too much time cleaning up the work.

Last edited:
BTW, if you have back problems I suggest you have help with those 1/4 panels. If you don't have back problems, you probably will afterwards...they're beefy :cool:

Needed some more clearance in the tranny hump after the tummy tuck. Probably going to cut it in half to make removal easier without having to pull the cage.

DSC_0188.jpg

Nice build mate. Dig raising the rear wheel wells. Makes sitting easier when you're 6'+.

Thanks, I'm 6'4" which is the main reason the old cage/seat combo had to go. I've laid the 40 over a few times but no hard rolls, but the way it was set up before in a hard roll I'm pretty sure I would smack my head.

Picked up a set of PRP comp high backs, they're :grinpimp: Got them 2" taller and they fit me perfect. Way better than the old plastic RCI seats.
IMAG0403.jpg

Apparently the drain hole in the bottom of the rockers was plugged and the rockers were starting to rust through. I was going to trim them anyway so I just cut them all the way out, why not

DSC_0195.jpg

Thinking about welding in a piece of 2" square tubing then having a 1.75" tube kick out coming off that. Something like this maybe
Rockers.jpg

Subscribed. Have the same rust issues with the rockers - plan on ditching the rear tub but would like to keep the door frames, as I'm not sure it'd feel like an FJ40 with just a front and cowl.

looking good! and familiar! I had to fill the fuel door hole in my bud builts too. Also, I wish I'd modified my wheel wells like you did.

Where did you buy those inner fender well tops from?

Thanks,

Evan

Last edited:
Sierra Vista huh? I'm headed out there next week for work, travel in and out of there about once every two months for a week or so. Wish i could bring my 40 with me one time, i talked to a guy out there last time that said there were some pretty good places to go play out towards Tombstone.

On your sliders,

I suggest adding 2 cross braces between the 2"square, and the 1.75" tube..

I have a very similar style to what you drew, with 1 cross brace. I came down hard on a boulder, and my passenger slider is bent out of whack now.. If I had the second brace it wouldn't have happened.

Cheers,

Sierra Vista huh? I'm headed out there next week for work, travel in and out of there about once every two months for a week or so. Wish i could bring my 40 with me one time, i talked to a guy out there last time that said there were some pretty good places to go play out towards Tombstone.

I just moved out here last year and started tearing the 40 apart right away so I haven't had a lot of time to explore trails yet but there's tons of public land in the hills and mountains in the area so I'm sure they're out there. I get to do a little 4 wheeling at work so it gets me by for now

On your sliders,

I suggest adding 2 cross braces between the 2"square, and the 1.75" tube..

I have a very similar style to what you drew, with 1 cross brace. I came down hard on a boulder, and my passenger slider is bent out of whack now.. If I had the second brace it wouldn't have happened.

Cheers,

There are going to be 2 cross braces, I was just too lazy to throw those into bendtech.

I'm go to wait on building the kickouts till I get around to doing the tube fenders so I can get them the same width.

Going to start the on the cage next week. The A pillar will tie into the rocker and frame and then I'll ditch the front body mount since it won't be doing anything but getting in the way. The rocker will be braced to the frame and I'm thinking about skinning it with UHMW.

Drilled and welded in a piece of 1/2" tube on each end for a drain. Hopefully keep the rockers from rusting from the inside out again :rolleyes:

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

IMAG0424.jpg

Starting to look like a cage. And I've only screwed up one piece Should be able to get a spreader and a gusset or two out of it tho.

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom