White '96 Factory Clear Coat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gray Rider

SILVER Star
Threads
Did a '96 have a clear coat finish? Mine is peeling off. A knowledgable guy said it must be a re-paint by previous owner....

No.

That kinda confirms it. Thanks!

Ditto: no clear coat from the factory.

Sorry, slightly off topic, but does white not need a clear coat and other colors do?

Ah, very interesting. Thank you!

Does that mean it's less layers of paint? Was it cheaper as a result?

I've wondered if the white paint, as a result, is more prone to getting rust spots.

Ah, very interesting. Thank you!

Does that mean it's less layers of paint? Was it cheaper as a result?

I've wondered if the white paint, as a result, is more prone to getting rust spots.

Nothing to do with rust spots, just a different way of doing paint. Not necessarily cheaper. Someone would need to use a paint thickness meter to say about thickness, I doubt Toyota skimped though.

Single stage can look amazing, but it needs to be maintained. Personally, I prefer it as you don't have flaking clear coat with neglect. It does oxidize quickly if not cared for but I did a light cut and polish on my 045 single stage white and it's crazy how good it looks. Seal and some type of ceramic and you are looking good.

I'll say this again. My 1991 that I purchased new from a Toyota dealer had clear coat over white.
What was the color code Jon? My guess is that you had 040 which is white base and clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom