Builds White 1989 62 (Clean Slate) Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update: Gone through all electrical with great sucess (I'm SHOCKED!!!) Horn works, 4WD indicator working, double DIN JVC touchscreen installed. When I got her the brakes were what I'd call barely adequate. Turns out the rear drums were WAAY out of adjustment. 15 clicks later and I have much better brake feel and a working parking brake! Next up will be both knuckles and TREs while I'm at it.

Today was wheel and tire day. Ditched the 32/12.5 BFG for the narrower profile 33/10.5 KO2s. Painted the steelies a nice dark satin grey. I like the color ALOT and almost hate slapping the caps on. With all the chrome still on this 62 though, they look like they belong there.
IMG_2905.JPG
IMG_2912.JPG
IMG_2913.JPG

Man, see already improved. Looks great. Love the color of the wheels. Would love to have some steelies on mine.....and would run no caps. Off to a great start.

No cap view...
IMG_2907.JPG

I bought the caps for the 40 but think that looks better with them off. The 40 wheels are the smoke grey (close to original) and don't look as good as the 60 now.
IMG_2834.JPG

Beautiful, no nonsense and clean representation of a lightly modified vintage wagon. Just a few questions. I always wanted to go with your choice of vintage wheels:
-Where did you purchase the wheels?
- Are the Steelies 15” or 16” diameter?
- What is the Wheel width?
-If you had the tires mounted by a third party, were any issues raised regarding the “oversized tire width in comparison to the stock Wheel width?
Thanx

Thanks @88Retired62

You can order the wheels from Toyota or shop Cruisercorps or Ebay. Ebay usually give me the best pricing. I've heard rumors of dealers matching prices but I can not confirm.

They are 15" diameter and 5.5" wide. Backspace allows clearance for disc brake 60s.
Mom and Pop tire shops are your best option for mounting. Most big box stores and chains won't touch this combo. Never had an independent shop tell me "no"

I've rocked this combo for 40s and 60s for about a decade now without issue.

@TexasBlue
That is a piece left over from about 6 years ago. It's just a LOT of white! I like how it broke up my old 60.

Nice rig! What color/brand did you use for the 60 wheels? Looks a lot like duplicolor graphite

@TexasBlue
That is a piece left over from about 6 years ago. It's just a LOT of white! I like how it broke up my old 60.

View attachment 1961171

What about some of those retro Toyota stripes to break up the white some? Something like this:

toyota-fj60-land-cruiser-4wd-4x4-restomod-fjco-sand-a.jpg

Maybe more of an FJ60 thing rather than on a 62, but thought I would throw it out there.

@Robert Franzke

I like the Corsetti stripes a lot. That is the perfect color 60 series for them. On all other colors, the stripes are not what I call a compliment to the overall look. If they made a "greyscale" version of these stripes, that might work on a white 60. I am by no means locked in on anything yet, just "ideaing"

Retro blue stripes on Roscoe, my ‘88

Could have been a dealer install?

View attachment 1962361View attachment 1962362

Love that. Gives these rigs such a cool 80's vibe.

I spotted this over in the "What did you do with your 60 this weekend" thread. Looks like this might be painted on instead of a decal but kind of a grayscale look. I thought it looked cool anyways. Sorry. Carry on.

8766DFF9-7886-4D69-9192-155C9359BBBD.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom