Whirring/bearing/vibration sound when freewheel hubs engaged. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

I really need some assistance in identifying and troubleshooting an issue.

When my 105's hubs are engaged I get a whirring sounds which increases in pitch as I gain speed, this occurs in 2h/4h if the hubs are locked. when unlocked the sound isn't there.

I've done the following:
-Replaced the passenger axle + CV
-Pulled the front diff, pulled apart, put back together with crown backlash and pinion flange play within recommended specs.
-Rebuilt both front wheel hubs, new bearings, gaskets, seals.
-Rebuilt both Swivel hubs, new bearings, gaskets, seals & repacked
-Wheel bearing preload within recommended specs.

Could this have anything to do with the hub engagement or the bearing in the freewheel hub?

I was thinking of removing the front drive shaft and locking the hubs to see if the noise continues, will that work?

please and thankyou.

I’d absolutely remove the prop shaft and lock the hubs. Sounds like you’ve eliminated just about every other possible cause I can think of.

I’m assuming your transfer case is part time too, right? If there’s no noise with the prop shaft removed and the hubs locked, maybe lock the center diff and check for noise (since a front output bearing might be the culprit?).

edit: cannot imagine a way for the locking hubs themselves to make that kind of noise when locked, unless maybe one is broken??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom