Whining on first drive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Xpnsv72fj

SILVER Star
Threads
Like the title says I've got a whining noise when I first start driving in the morning. It gets louder as I drive but seems to top out around 25 mph or maybe its just drown out by everything else. It goes away fairly quickly and is gone by the time a make it out of my neighborhood. Once my LC has been driven and is warm it doesn't return until it has sat and compelety cooled off. The noise is coming from the front end more towards the passenger side. As far as I can tell it only happens when it is cold out side below 40 degrees, the colder it is the louder it is but still goes away once she warms up.

Brake input doesn't change anything

I just changed the front diff fluid and still have the same noise

Any ideas would be great

My LC is a 2000 with 154k on it.

Thanks Josh

How's the level on your power steering fluid? I had a slow leak on the reservoir, and when it got low, similar sound/things were going on. I'll let the smart guys below do the talking :D

Last edited:
Sounds more like your typical transfer case whine when cold. Mines been doing it here in Atlanta more the past few days with the temps in the teens.

You said you did front diff. Did you change fluids in the transfer case? It sounds like a cold transfer case. New oil may help.

^^ transfer case. This happens when cold on mine also. On a cold start, the fluid is in the bottom of the transfer case and it takes a little while for all the gears to get re-coated with fluid. Seems to happen more with synthetic according to reports here on mud. Have not seen any reports of it causing any issues.

Normal TC whine- mine does, especially in the colder weather. It used to be louder, but after switching to Mobil1 Synthetic 75w/90 the whine is faint.

I get the same TC whine plus a louder PS pump whine when temp goes below 10. I assume is because the fluid is too thick and as it warms up the whine disappears.

awesome, this has been bothering me for a week or two also. 8 month old synthetic fluid in the tcase. Wasnt even thinking tcase until someone said it sounds like a 4 low whine and that is exactly what mine sounds like two for the first 3 miles.

the TC whine I hear it coming from the center console and is high pitch, it changes with speed and disappears after 1/4 to 1/2 mile.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm glad to know this is a pretty normal thing.

Josh

Transfer case, mine does it too, so did my Land Rover, any full time 4x4 will do it when it's cold and it should stop fairly quick after starting to drive, but will depend on temps.
I am using full synthetic 75w-90 Castrol gear oil.
I have no idea if it did it before I switched to full synthetic because I changed it the summer I bought the truck.

Mine does it to! Im using m1 75/90 ls. Stops after about half a mile.

Mine does it when it's below 20 degrees if I drive it without warming it up. It last about 150 yard before the sound goes away. Not worrying about it, maybe I should :)

Nice to know it’s common and apparently innocent. My symptoms mimic that described by you guys.

That said, I don’t recall the noise from the early years of ownership. But my memory struggles to clearly reflect over that 15-yr period!

I have been hearing a whine too, but my temps in California is 60F-ish. Nowhere near as cold as some of you guys. Could it be the same TC whine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom