whine while accelerating and clunk when shifting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday, my '91 LC started whining whenever it is in gear and the gas is applied. Also, about a week ago it stareted clunking at any time gas was applied or let off. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

Front or rear diff possibly pinion bearing
How do the drive flanges look?

Yesterday, my '91 LC started whining whenever it is in gear and the gas is applied. Also, about a week ago it stareted clunking at any time gas was applied or let off. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

Check your u-joints. They are the most common and cheapest fix.

The clunk does not sound like a pinion bearing but the whining noise when on the throttle does, especially if there is no noise when coasting.

Worst comes to worst, you can find a shop with a listening device. They can put a microphone on different compnents like your diffs and transfer case and independantly switch from mic to mic to see where the noise is coming from.

Does your whine sound like this?

Because that whine is completely normal. All A440F (and I think A442F) transmissions have it. It's because of the type of gears used in the first gearset.

the whining and the clunk can be normal. i noticed my would whine more on smoother surfaces or on grass. i used to have a 92. for the clunk, we called it the "infamous clunk". do a search and you'll see what i mean.
by normal i mean is common in the 91-92 lc's.

My idler pulley went bad and started whining more than my three year old. As for the clunk... Bad U joint?

I had the infamous clunk in my 92. When I regeared it went away. Didn't replace the u-joints just totally rebuilt the front and rear. CLUNK GONE!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom