Whine? Transfer Case? This time Yes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cabrito

I come in peace
Threads
This thread helped me diagnose my own whine. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/196873-fj-62-whinning.html I was having the exact same problem.

I am getting a high pitched whine from what sounds like the rear. I rotated the tires and I know some of the noise is the tires but not all. 88FJ62 178K miles
The whine started out a couple weeks ago at 55 but now happens at 30-35 mph only when you are acclerating. The noise goes away if truck is put out of gear(automatic of course) or if you let off the accelerator. Whine is not there when truck is on center rack in gear going 35. The noise is not there if the transfer case is in neutral and transmission is in drive with engine revved. All fluids in tranfer case and diff are fine. Some play in rear diff. So what is it?
Diff? Tnsf case? Tranny? Or just the tires.
Just drove it 170 miles round trip no noticeable power issues but it is whinning like my ex wife.

I originally found this thread many moons ago while trying to diagnose my own whine. When it was starting I was the only person who could hear it. To me it sounded faintly like a small two stroke bike riding next to me. I could not hear it from the passenger seat. It finally got so loud that I would have to turn the radio up to drown it out. In the end it sounded like a swarm of bees were under the car.

Solution:
Rebuilt the tranfer case today here is a picture of the scarred idler shaft and worn needle rolling bearings. This was the problem, now no whining from the case or from me.
I thought that I would post this because often someone post a problem, ask for help, maybe gets helps, fixes the problem and the solution is never given. Maybe we can start a new trend here and the solutions will be at the end of the threads.

This was KKT's Idler Shaft.
attachment.php

So more than a year later..

Here is my own Idler Shaft – Looks familiar huh?
Idlershaftstanding.jpg

I went to Mudraks for the t-case rebuild because I know better than to do this type of work on my own.
T-Casefresh.jpg

While they were under the cruiser they cleaned the transmission pan
Trannypanfresh.jpg

Did a new gasket on the oil pan to hopefully fix my annoying oil leak.
OilPanFresh.jpg

Mudraks Rocks! Gary is super cool.

Looks great and I don't hear any whine! We switched motor oil to Redline Synthetic - also went synthetic in the transfer case and transmission. For a shake down drive we drove to Monterey and back for the weekend from SF!

I think I will drive it to work to morrow just because..

5/6/09 update - the oil leak has been fixed 100% by changing the oil pan gasket!

Last edited:
Cool.

Mudrak's is a good shop, not surprised you got good service.

Was your t-case run low on oil?

Cool.

Mudrak's is a good shop, not surprised you got good service.

Was your t-case run low on oil?

Yeah Mudraks is top notch.

As far as I know it never ran low, but I don't really remember checking it myself between oil changes. I try to stay current on most preventative maintenance with recommended fluid change intervals and such. I keep lots of records. I suppose it could have run low it's definitely possible. The local shop I use is pretty good at checking this type of stuff when he has it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom