Whine from Front end at highway speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I am new to sign up to the forum though I have been searching daily for the last few months since Ive owned my 80.

A little background- About 2 months ago I traded a 95 Tacoma 4x4 4cyl 5-speed for a 1996 Landcruiser as I needed something that could tow. I love the Landcruiser as it has everything I need in a truck.

The LC has 266k and seems the previous owner did not stay up with maintenance.

I am currently in the process of baselining, but this front end whine is driving me nuts.

The whine is definetly dependent on wheel speed. At low speeds it is not very noticeable, but once I get to ~45mph it gets loud and stays loud up until about 65mph and then quiets down a little but does not go away.

After searching this forum I removed the front DS and the noise disappeared. Great its coming from the frontend!

I replaced the U joints (moog...I know...) on the DS as the rear one had slight play. The noise is still there.

Next I tore down the front knuckles as they were leaking. I noticed that on the PS knuckle that water must have gotten in and all parts on the ps (spindle, birf spline, driveplate) all had deep pits and rust. Also the DS birf was clicking and both axles had deep grooves on the sealing surface. While rebuilding I installed new OEM spindles( w/ bearings), Driveplates and 24 spline Longfield axles on both sides. Noise is still there.

I know that there are only a few other issues it could be at this point. My thoughts are either the front diff ( pinion bearing), Driveshaft slip yolk or cheap u joints, front bearing on transfer case.

I am just hoping someone could suggest where to start next? I would rather not just replace everything.
My $$$ is really starting to feel it.

Thank you for your help

Vince

Since you've done the knuckles and I assume you greased the spindle bushings (especially with new spindles), I will assume you did that part correctly. Don;t know how you set your wheel bearings, but if you followed the FSM, they may still be loose.

If it's a whine and not a screech, I would lean toward the differential bearings. probably pinion, but if you're pulling out one set, may as well do all and have it redone. Send the diff to 'Zuk and have him go through it. Now's the time to install a selectable locker if you are looking to do that.

Especially since you pulled the front DS and it went away.

Others can chime in, but you have followed the proper troubleshooting order for this. Do you have any play in the pinion? axial or rotational that seems excessive?

Just replaced my front third due to pinion bearing failure, no more noise.

Yup, highly likely the front diff.

If you're lazy like me, you can leave the front DS out and just drive it like that till you get around to fixing it.

(I've been driving mine for that way for ~5 years now. :lol:)

If you're even MORE LAZY......

Buy a set of lockout front hubs and install them. Remove the front DS, unlock the hubs, and you will never hear the noise again and it won't get any worse.......

If you're even MORE LAZY......

Buy a set of lockout front hubs and install them. Remove the front DS, unlock the hubs, and you will never hear the noise again and it won't get any worse.......
I think "more lazy" would constitute just turning up the radio

Thank you all for the reply!

I did make sure to research the front end rebuild before the job. All front end parts are greased. I made sure to use extra on the spindle bushings as I thought that could be the issue.

I did set the bearing preload using the FSM. I had ~7.5lbs on the ds and ~9lbs on ps using the fish scale.

As far as the front diff, It doesn' seem to have any axial play at all and the pinion seal I'd not leaking. Radially it looks to have a little more than 1/4 play by hand.

The pics below show the solid line on the left is at rest, the line on the right is if I hold it with my hand ( I hope that makes sense)

20180718_192149.jpg

20180718_185352.jpg

Rotationally, that doesn't look bad.

Check your wheel bearings again.

There is a flaw in the FSM that is well documented about wheel bearing adjustment.

Look for a procedure by @Tools R Us .

You're right, I really would like to not have it be the diff, but I really want to make sure thats the issue before spending more $ . What' the best way to diagnose? Should I just open it up and look for chipped teeth or marred bearings?

The only thing that gets me is the lack of play and rear pinion seal not leaking.

I'm going to try tightening the wheel bearings tomorrow and see where that gets me.

Take WB to 45 lb-ft while rotating. Then loosen while not rotating.
Tighten to 30 lb-ft while rotating.
Install the star washer, torque outer nut to 45 lb-ft. Bend over the tabs on the star washer.

If you follow the FSM, it will be like 4 lb-ft instead of 30.

So I just finished up tightening the wb's as BILT4ME descr8bed, threw the front ds back in.

Noise still there...

I think I'm going to look into tearing into the front diff.

So I just finished up tightening the wb's as BILT4ME descr8bed, threw the front ds back in.

Noise still there...

I think I'm going to look into tearing into the front diff.

Darn!

We were all in denial about the differential.....

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom