While waiting for parts to put my Dash Gauges back together, is there an official color for the dash so that I can repaint it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got the whole unit down to individual parts and there is some light rust on the surface of the metal front face of the Gauge/Speedo cover that means now would be the time to sand/repaint it. My FJ40 is a 1976 and I would describe the color as a muted silver right now. I could just paint it some grey/silver color but if there is an official name and color I can buy I would use that unless its hard to get or very expensive..

Dash Gauge Face.jpg

Search "pewter"

Cruiser Corp sells a rattle can in pewter for $21.

Thanks. I looked around for other options but this seems to be the best one. Ordered a can.
I used Cruiser Corps pewter rattle can. Works well.

I would say that my instrument cluster, and glove box door turned out a bit more silver/gold than stock - kind of a champagne color vice the more grey pewter that came on my new OEM bumperetts and replacement instrument cluster (yes, I rebuilt one and bought another...).

I'd still recommend their products and have used the 857 medium blue on other parts to great effect. The slight variation is probably not noticeable to a passenger, and maybe not even to a cruiser enthusiast. I only mention it to suggest you consider a dark primer (mine was white) to try and 'grey' up the finish a little bit. It *is* possible that I didn't shake my can enough, or maybe too much, or that I should have put on more coats (I used two).

Just hoping to help and add to the conversation.

R/
Travis.-

I used Cruiser Corps pewter rattle can. Works well.

I would say that my instrument cluster, and glove box door turned out a bit more silver/gold than stock - kind of a champagne color vice the more grey pewter that came on my new OEM bumperetts and replacement instrument cluster (yes, I rebuilt one and bought another...).

I'd still recommend their products and have used the 857 medium blue on other parts to great effect. The slight variation is probably not noticeable to a passenger, and maybe not even to a cruiser enthusiast. I only mention it to suggest you consider a dark primer (mine was white) to try and 'grey' up the finish a little bit. It *is* possible that I didn't shake my can enough, or maybe too much, or that I should have put on more coats (I used two).

Just hoping to help and add to the conversation.

R/
Travis.-
Someone else right above your post mentioned powder coating, and I don’t know why I don’t think of that option. I work in a plant that regularly sends parts out for powder coating, and I frequently see how much better it looks than my spray painting. But for a number of projects I don’t think of it until afterwards. I will probably at least call to see how much it will cost, but I’ve already ordered a can of spray paint from Cruiser Corps and it cost $22 plus shipping, so now I’m deciding if it’s worth the extra time (not that worried about cost) that my Cruiser would be taking up room in the garage since I don’t want to drive it without the instrument cluster. And right now it’s taking up 2 spots.

Spray paint with proper prep, good enough, and drive it!
IMG_2130 2.jpg

(rustoleum stainless steel silver iirc)

I just had mine powder coated in the prismatic Steel Silver PMB 5208 that others mentioned on here for the silver.

I had a shop warp my cluster when they went to sandblast it and powder coat it... I honestly do not know at what step they messed up but the second shop got it right. Just a word of caution it is pretty thin metal

I had a shop warp my cluster when they went to sandblast it and powder coat it... I honestly do not know at what step they messed up but the second shop got it right. Just a word of caution it is pretty thin metal
I work for a company that makes custom assembly machines and we send our machine guards out to be powder coated frequently. Most of the guards are at least 16 gauge which is probably a little heavier than the stamped faceplate but we’ve never had problems with them distorting parts. But I don’t know if they will do a one off piece. We usually have 10-50 guards of various sizes we get painted at once.

Roughly how much did that cost?
Sorry for the delay, I had a bunch of things powdercoated, head light buckets, glove box door, grill, and a variety of grey...so not sure how it breaks down by the piece, but I always feel I get a great deal! They had to order that color in for me since they didn't have it.
As for warping, I always give them a heads up on the delicate parts or the parts that are hard to replace if lost or warped. They seem to always get it right! I had one imperfection on the ash tray door and they will recoat that for me.

I've got the whole unit down to individual parts and there is some light rust on the surface of the metal front face of the Gauge/Speedo cover that means now would be the time to sand/repaint it. My FJ40 is a 1976 and I would describe the color as a muted silver right now. I could just paint it some grey/silver color but if there is an official name and color I can buy I would use that unless its hard to get or very expensive..

View attachment 3038633
Hi. I may be reading and responding too late for you. I had my 1969 FJ40 repainted last summer. Since I am the original owner, I wanted to keep the FJ as original as possible. I researched the paint colors extensively. Below is what I learned about the silver/pewter trimmed items at least through model year 1972. I am very pleased with the final product and the color of the silver/perter is a very close match if not perfect.

Front Bumper, Rear Bumperettes, Side Mirrors, Front Turn Signals, License Plate Light, Interior Parts

Original Color: Silver/Pewter Metallic; Two Toyota Colors are Referenced:
  • Gray M [for metallic] Toyota Color # T1434 (thought to be used beginning in 1968)
  • Ash Gray Metallic Toyota Color # T145 (most restoration shops use this color but one source indicated that Toyota did not produce this color until 1983)

NOTE: Everything I have read indicates the bumpers, side mirror arms, front turn signals, and license plate light were the same color as the interior instrument panel cover, ash tray, and glove box door.

Hi. I may be reading and responding too late for you. I had my 1969 FJ40 repainted last summer. Since I am the original owner, I wanted to keep the FJ as original as possible. I researched the paint colors extensively. Below is what I learned about the silver/pewter trimmed items at least through model year 1972. I am very pleased with the final product and the color of the silver/perter is a very close match if not perfect.

Front Bumper, Rear Bumperettes, Side Mirrors, Front Turn Signals, License Plate Light, Interior Parts

Original Color: Silver/Pewter Metallic; Two Toyota Colors are Referenced:
  • Gray M [for metallic] Toyota Color # T1434 (thought to be used beginning in 1968)
  • Ash Gray Metallic Toyota Color # T145 (most restoration shops use this color but one source indicated that Toyota did not produce this color until 1983)

NOTE: Everything I have read indicates the bumpers, side mirror arms, front turn signals, and license plate light were the same color as the interior instrument panel cover, ash tray, and glove box door.
Well, because the can of spray paint from Cool Cruisers went from 6 day delivery date to unknown, you are not tool late. I called a few shops that powder coat but none of them have the color code I found in a post above, and getting it is extended and expensive, because they need to buy a minimum amount.

Of the 2 colors you listed the I would have to see them, and my research found a divide for some of the metallic colored paints at pre and post 1972, and mine is a 1976. I'll research the numbers and see what I can find.

There are automotive paint shops in the nearest large city (Omaha) and I can probably buy a small amount along with a pressurized sprayer for touch up. I already did that once on a panel. I forget what it cost exactly but it was over $100 for a quart, but that turned out to be a ridiculous amount of paint for what I needed, and this should be even less. Most of them can color match if you bring them a sample, and my current gauge plate should be good for that. It's not in terrible condition, its just that I took it apart this far I might as well upgrade as much as I can.

Well, because the can of spray paint from Cool Cruisers went from 6 day delivery date to unknown, you are not tool late. I called a few shops that powder coat but none of them have the color code I found in a post above, and getting it is extended and expensive, because they need to buy a minimum amount.

Of the 2 colors you listed the I would have to see them, and my research found a divide for some of the metallic colored paints at pre and post 1972, and mine is a 1976. I'll research the numbers and see what I can find.

There are automotive paint shops in the nearest large city (Omaha) and I can probably buy a small amount along with a pressurized sprayer for touch up. I already did that once on a panel. I forget what it cost exactly but it was over $100 for a quart, but that turned out to be a ridiculous amount of paint for what I needed, and this should be even less. Most of them can color match if you bring them a sample, and my current gauge plate should be good for that. It's not in terrible condition, its just that I took it apart this far I might as well upgrade as much as I can.
We are practically neighbors and I need to referb mine too. Maybe joint venture gets us what we need and saves a few bucks. PM me if interested

End of the repaint and odometer repair questions, at least for now. Thanks to all for advice. I ended up getting the Cruiser Corp spray paint. It's delivery went from unknown to tomorrow in space of 1 day. Looks pretty good to me.
View attachment 3048286
I bought it from Cruiser Corps and there are a couple of numbers;
Brand Code 4048
OEM Code T309

If I remember correctly I ended up searching for 'Pewter' spray paint on the website. I don't think its an exact match, but its close and looked a lot closer after I let it dry for a day. Kind of expensive, but I wasn't finding anything close, and I was getting really high prices to powder coat it. I think if you can find a powder coat painter that regularly handles FJ 40's the price wouldn't be as bad. I was told that there is a minimum quantity of paint they need to buy and if they aren't other people wanting to paint you have to pay for that minimum amount they need to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom