While I've got the Intake Manifold Off... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Happy new year All,

I'm giving my 62 some loving, new parts, fresh electrical connections, dynamating the interior, knuckle rebuild and all that good stuff.

It was running pretty decently before parking it. Acceleration was fine, driving 80 with ease, don't think I had any massive vacuum leaks, however it sounds like a sewing machine when idling and it does have a bit of a stumble at idle.
Not a perfect RPM idle let's say. The engine still feels fairly strong at 275K. The slushbox is on its way out... It was rebuilt at 200K. I'm giving it one more try with all fresh Amsoil synthetic flush.

I just like to do what I can to keep this 62 on the road (off road) for as long as possible.

I'm replacing all the obvious like water, vacuum hoses, doing a lot of cleaning.

I've never taken off the fuel rail, would it be highly advisable to get injectors send out to be cleaned?

Today I took off the Intake and of course there is quite a bit of oil and soot build-up in the intake manifold. How clean should I try and get this? and what is the best way to do this?
Is there anything I can do to clean the downpipes where the intake manifold sits on top off? just so much oily crud.

What else should I pay attention to while this far in?

The fuel pulsation dampener is about 7 years old and so are the other fuel part apart from the filter.

Thank you!

fj62-garage.jpg

intake2.jpg

gasket.jpg

Definitely clean the injectors
Of all the work Ive done on my rig....it was the biggest improvement in performance and smoothness Ive found.
i just did the manifold gasket. Cleaned the surfaces with scotchbright and degreased snd oainted my manifolds with flamepeoof oaint.
It really looks good and is holding up so far.

• Valley plug
  • Grommets on valve cover
  • Don't forget the cup seats under the injectors if you pull them, they'll likely be crumbling
  • Anything rubber you can see
  • Thermostat
  • Clean and put dielectric grease on all connectors
  • Check harness for pinches, chafing, make sure it stays away from air rail and heat shield

Thanks Kleatus. I did most of those things.
Replaced a lot of rubber that had become hard, lots of hoses, gaskets, regular tune up stuff. But also rebuild the knuckle.

I put it back together but found out the radiator is leaking. My local radiator shop guy said he couldn't repair it, just pulled the old one out again.

I didn't do a valve job, the lifters are ticking quite a bit though, sounds like a sewing machine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom