1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Cookiemonster, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

Scenario: You have just been approached by the people of TopGear to be one of their hosts/test drivers..etc. This means a few 100k a year plus business expenses along with making the connections with some of the worlds best drivers and manufacturers...Not to mention all of the traveling involved.

or

You can take the position with HK as a product tester & trainer for civilian, Law Enf. & Military personnel. Some travel will be cross crounty in the HK gun mobile...

Which would you do?

My bad....Same money, & buisness exspenses.

2. -Spike-

-Spike-

Same money?

-Spike

3. brian

brian SILVER Star

not an HK fan, but i'll drive anything i can get the keys to.

4. -Spike-

-Spike-

As much as I can't believe I'm saying it, shooting guns might get boring after a couple of months. I'm guessing the extracurricular activities with the driving and media crews of Top Gear would keep you entertained quite a bit longer.
    I wouldn't turn down either one though.

-Spike

5. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

No question.

Drive Zondas, Veyrons, and Enzos for a living or shoot gubs?

I can buy my own gubs.

6. valentine

valentine

Albums:
    But not the guns they are selling to the law enforcement. Fully auto mp5's etc.

I'd rather shoot everyday.....

When I'm at work and the guys are shooting the track up into the concrete for the metal studs I'll walk by and pause for a little bit & soak up the smell of gubpowder:D

7. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

It would be TopGear for me. Incredible cars always varying and the access to events and places must be great. Don't like the everyone knows who you are, but to be able to sport the wheels they do I would make that sacrifice.

As much as I love firearms, I think I could find it within myself to sport auto racing, & show tickets to a few key HK employees, namely the CEO & CFO in order to secure an open invitation to their facilities......

Even without HK I'd go for TopGear......How many people get to take someone else's car close to 200mph and get paid to do it.

8. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I agree and until Valentine's post I would have thought that was a no-brainer.

Mix it up a little and say that you have to live in GB and CAN'T shoot gubs if you take the TG job.

I'd still take the cars myself.

9. Relix

Relix

TopGear for me, I love and own a ton of guns, but I have an incredilbe passion for cars...

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon

I don't know squat about Top Gear, but I do know HK's attitude towards "civilian" gun sales stinks. Good money, but I'd feel a bit dirty taking it.

11. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

I couldn't care less about being a host on a tee-vee show...but driving different things...really, really, really fast would be a hoot.

unless....doing the HK gig meant that I'd have a special badge that let me go as fast as I wanted to...like one of them thar parole violator hunter guys...

12. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

Let me cooter-finger them HK's. I've got all the diesels I'll ever need and I don't need to go fast. Nothing like full-auto fun. I'd be hard as wood every fricking second and I'd take that job in a heartbeat. Someone else paying for my ammo? Doing full-auto mag dumps? Demo'ing new equipment for my fellow LE folks? Yea, that's what I'd do.

13. Poriomania

Poriomania

Guns are fun, but being paid to do the stuff they do on Top gear would be awesome. Sure you get to drive fast and stuff, but you also get to do crazy $hit like destroy hiluxes and make your own car/boat. Not to mention racing attack helicopters. Way more creativity and variety than testing and training. I'd really rather be thinking up some stunt than doing the same stuff with different people.

14. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    I don't like to drive fast anymore, 70mph is it for me, guess so many years of driving Cruisers cured me from my need for speed..............so toss me the keys to the HK Funmobile and I'd be a VERY happy camper :D

be really cool if I could have a Land Cruiser HK Funmobile..........maybe a trailer behind a 79 Troopy? pretty please :D but maybe a Unimog would be more appropriate...........I guess I could live with that........;)

15. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

Never saw that one coming........:grinpimp:

16. srplus

srplus Walked with the Dinosaurs

My vote based on career possibilities.

From your original post: "...TopGear to be one of their hosts/test drivers..etc. This means a few 100k a year plus business expenses along with making the connections with some of the worlds best drivers and manufacturers...Not to mention all of the traveling involved."

Only real downer for this is if traveling is too much of a bad... you said that HK had some travel (so i assume less). From my personal experience - I had job that involved a lot of travel and that was hard on health, sanity, marriage, and on and on. Not that much fun sitting in a motel somewhere remote without your usual toys (including wifey). Lots of guys on the road get their snout too far into the bottle to ever get it out.

With that in mind the job with TG seems to offer more 'interfacing' and contacts for future advancements and changes. HK looks to be more of a chance that you are going to fall into a groove that may or may not be a rut - that you could get stuck in (from your brief description).

Best advice is to get a couple sheets of paper and list all of the advantages / disadvantages for each position on separate sheets... don't list which job is which but strictly stay to good VS. bad. Be merciless in the critique and don't pad the one you are leaning towards. Put them down for a day or more. Then, review them (many times) & before making any final decision, show them to significant others friends for their input. Then you should be 100% certain of what it is that you really want.

17. swank60

swank60

Hell, no brainer for me.

I'd be a stripper.

Wait, what do you mean that's not an option?

18. swank60

swank60

Wait, I was a stripper for a while. Color seperation isn't as glitzie as it may seem.

19. brian

brian SILVER Star

umm depends what state "you" live in:cheers: .

most states(34) allow class3(full auto) ownership:grinpimp: .
    an "entry" level FA will set you back a mere 2-4K;)

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">