Which wire is always hot, which is ground? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m trying to wire in a license plate light and the best place I’ve found is the rear light in the tailgate. There’s three lights coming from the bulb. Any idea what each wire is? I assume solid green is ground, but which one is hot with lights on for me to tap into?

CA5ABDC9-A75A-4948-8BF8-3C45FE0CB19D.jpeg

20956D33-D470-485E-9ACC-7F507C478864.jpeg

On the LX we don’t have solid green or green+white, but rather green+black and green+yellow, so I can’t help you there. I briefly tried looking at the EWD from my phone but all I saw mentioned was green+white and white+black. I’d recommend taking the bulb out and sticking a multimeter in its place.

Maybe that bulb does double duty? Is it a brake light as well as a tail light? I'll have to check that out.

Maybe that bulb does double duty? Is it a brake light as well as a tail light? I'll have to check that out.
If it is a brake light then it will be on at full power when you push the pedal, on at reduced power when not pushing the pedal and your headlights are on, and off when not pushing the pedal and your headlights are off. Only the third brake light is only a brake light as far as I know.

If you're going to do electrical work, buy a multimeter and a test light! Its 20 bucks on amazon. These are the most valuable tools for electrical car work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom