Which winch (1 Viewer)

Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
161
Location
New Jersey
Looking for a winch for my 40.
Looking at a 8000 in size.
my 40 has a fiberglass body and chevy engine so it is lighter than most 40's.

Do you have to get a Warn or are there others that are good?
 

Landpimp

GOLD Star
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
16,068
Location
Gig Harbor WA
 
 
 
I must ageee, there are many winchs that will work, but IMOP there is one that is hands down the best......the Warn 8274, either on older used one or a new 8274-50......this winch will last your lifetime.

I have a pair of them, LOVE them.

Funny Warn says the 9500xp I used on my 100 is the fastest Warn made...........BS! its not even close to a 8274 speed wise!

You can find uses 8274's for around $500
 
Joined
Jun 6, 2003
Messages
2,604
Location
Cuyamaca, CA and Las Vegas, NV
Any winch is better than no winch. What is your budget and how often will you use it? Also, what size/style/etc. do you need. If you are mounting to an existing bumper, take into consideration which models will fit your application. There are NEW products from $300-$1000+ on the market, many of which may fit your application.

Most tow trucks are using Ramsey winches. The rigging company I worked for used exclusively Ramsey winches and they are very popular in the rigging industry.

Tons of products to chose from:

http://www.warn.com/
http://www.ramsey.com/intro.html
http://www.superwinch.com/
http://www.milemarker.com/index.html
http://www.cpeauto.com/main.htm

I picked up a brand new E9000 from Mile Marker. I got a great price ($370 shipped) from an outfit that was no longer selling that product line. This was about $150 less than anywhere else. The quality seems very good.

If I didn't have a budget, I'd have bought the Ramsey 9500 w/synthetic line. That would be my "dream winch";)

I'd shop around some, you may find a good deal. Good luck and happy shopping.
 

spressomon

glutton
Moderator
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
13,320
Location
Northern Nevada
 
 
 
I am looking at the Warn 9.5xi for my 100...it would be nice to hear from someone who has used one. The larger winches, such as the 8274 won't fit my bumper/rig.
 
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
161
Location
New Jersey
Where

calamaridog said:
Any winch is better than no winch. What is your budget and how often will you use it? Also, what size/style/etc. do you need. If you are mounting to an existing bumper, take into consideration which models will fit your application. There are NEW products from $300-$1000+ on the market, many of which may fit your application.

Most tow trucks are using Ramsey winches. The rigging company I worked for used exclusively Ramsey winches and they are very popular in the rigging industry.

Tons of products to chose from:

http://www.warn.com/
http://www.ramsey.com/intro.html
http://www.superwinch.com/
http://www.milemarker.com/index.html
http://www.cpeauto.com/main.htm

I picked up a brand new E9000 from Mile Marker. I got a great price ($370 shipped) from an outfit that was no longer selling that product line. This was about $150 less than anywhere else. The quality seems very good.

If I didn't have a budget, I'd have bought the Ramsey 9500 w/synthetic line. That would be my "dream winch";)

I'd shop around some, you may find a good deal. Good luck and happy shopping.
That does sound like a good price.
Where was that?
Do you think there are any left?
 
Joined
Jun 6, 2003
Messages
2,604
Location
Cuyamaca, CA and Las Vegas, NV
An acquaintance in my club turned me onto the deal and I bought the next day. I know he's out of stock now because I called on Tues. to ask for someone else. We had posted the lead on a different board and they went fast.

I've seen similar deals so keep looking around if you are not in a hurry, you may find one.
 

Landpimp

GOLD Star
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
16,068
Location
Gig Harbor WA
 
 
 
I did the 9500XP on my 100(fit perfect), I like it, pulled out a few Bobcats recently with it.....I have a client who is a landscaper.....he get his bobcat stuck weekly ;)

spressomon said:
I am looking at the Warn 9.5xi for my 100...it would be nice to hear from someone who has used one. The larger winches, such as the 8274 won't fit my bumper/rig.
 
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
161
Location
New Jersey
Ramsey REP9.5

Found a good price for the Ramsey REP9.5 111090
About $400.00.
Any one seen one of these in action.

Heard that a roller was preferred over a harwse
But not sure if for the few times it will be used that I would notice the difference?
 
Joined
Nov 16, 2003
Messages
534
 
 
REP series have permanent magnet motor that are prone to losing power if overheated. Should be fine if you dont push the limit but something to think about.
 
Joined
May 20, 2004
Messages
809
Location
Below Da Bridge
 
 
 
You're all thinking about it, but I'll say it-Harbor Freight. Yes, I bought the ramsey look-alike 8000 lb for $316 (incl tax). I used it a lot last weekend and it worked fine.

If I had money.....8274.
 

e9999

You want to do what...?
Moderator
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Messages
17,130
Location
US
 
 
 
timbercruiser said:
You're all thinking about it, but I'll say it-Harbor Freight. Yes, I bought the ramsey look-alike 8000 lb for $316 (incl tax). I used it a lot last weekend and it worked fine.

If I had money.....8274.

what are you using it on? 40?
 
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,399
Location
PNW
 
 
 
timbercruiser said:
You're all thinking about it, but I'll say it-Harbor Freight. Yes, I bought the ramsey look-alike 8000 lb for $316 (incl tax). I used it a lot last weekend and it worked fine.

If I had money.....8274.
That HF 8000 lb job is the spittin' image of a MileMarker 800 lb winch, right down to the orange/grey control switch. Little bit different decals on each. HF keeps putting it on sale for $299. and I've noticed it on a couple of banged up lifted muddy Heeps lately. Probably works fine for a lot of stuff.
 
Joined
Jun 6, 2003
Messages
2,604
Location
Cuyamaca, CA and Las Vegas, NV
Augie said:
REP series have permanent magnet motor that are prone to losing power if overheated. Should be fine if you dont push the limit but something to think about.

This is a good point. If you are planning on winching a whole bunch, need faster line speeds, or expect very long pulls, then certainly you should step up and buy a higher quality unit.

For what I plan to use mine for, these less expensive units should work fine. Take your time and watch the motor temperature on long, hard pulls.
 

e9999

You want to do what...?
Moderator
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Messages
17,130
Location
US
 
 
 
honk said:
That HF 8000 lb job is the spittin' image of a MileMarker 800 lb winch, right down to the orange/grey control switch. Little bit different decals on each. HF keeps putting it on sale for $299. and I've noticed it on a couple of banged up lifted muddy Heeps lately. Probably works fine for a lot of stuff.

seems like a lot of the big chinese manufacturers will sell their products to large number of marketing outfits, with different names, paintjobs etc, but still the same thing. Seems pretty standard. Maybe the case here. Not obvious the quality would necessarily be the same, they could cut corners but could well be a good deal if one were in the market for a MM...
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom