Which Winch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wob

Threads
What winch is everyone running with their ARB Bull Bar? Their tech says that it was designed tio hold the Warn M10000, but I don't see very many vendors carrying it. They also said that to install the M12000, you would have to cut the bar, which they recommend against. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm running a Ramsey Rep 8000 for now. Will upgrade to the Warn 10K or 12K and move the 8K to the rear at some time in the future.

I believe most people run the Warn 10 or 12K, yes, you do have to modify the bar slightly to fit the 12K, but I wouldn't be too afraid of it.

-H-

The only modification needed to run a WARN M12k is to drill two new holes in the roller fairlead. Nothing needs to be done to the bullbar. The holes are no big deal to drill either. I measured and drilled without any proper tools out in the middle of nowhere.

In fact, from the measurements I have been able to find, the M15k would fit without any modifications as well. Think of the pulling power you could muster with that thing. 30k with a snatch block could pull you up a cliff. I wonder if the bumper could handle the stress?...

Oh the possibilities...

wob
Listen to Rogue. He was in the middle of some muck installing his new 12k (which if he'd had he wouldn't have been stuck :slap: :D) and installed it no problem. Get the 12k off the get go and be done. :beer:

Their tech says that it was designed tio hold the Warn M10000, but I don't see very many vendors carrying it.  They also said that to install the M12000, you would have to cut the bar, which they recommend against.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Did you ask the tech how many he has installed :) We are an ARB dealer and I have lost count on how many bars with 12k Winches I have installed. Two holes in the fairlead, about 1" below the existing one is all that is needed. The only way you can screw it up is if you get confussed on what holes the winch mounts to.

I have run the 10k on the front and a 9k in the rear for 6 years now and they have been used quite a bit. Even though I am running very heavy (8500 lbs. and getting heavier) they have never let me down and I do have some good stuck stories. Just keep in mind these winch ratings are for the bottom wrap so even with a 12k if you only spool out 10 feet of cable and don't get off the top wrap it won't be that powerful.
Bill

I got myself into some thick mud yesterday that came up to the sliders. The MT/Rs crapped out and the lockers didn't help so out came the winch remote from the supply bag and within 5 minutes I was good to go.

Go with the 12k, you won't be sorry and you can wheel harder with the knowledge that if you do get stuck you won't need to hike out to get a winch. :G

so the only mod is to drill the holes on the fairlead? there are no mods to the bumper at all? (the m12000 is on the way and i am excited about getting it on the truck.

:doh: edit: i did a search and thought this was the 60/62 board. guess it doesnt apply. drat.

Last edited:
Correct Peepers. That's all there is to it. FWIW, you are asking this in the 80's tech section so we are assuming it's for an 80 bullbar.

that was my mistake, i just edited the post above. i was searching and did not realize i was in the 80s section. still cant find it in the 60/62 section.

Also check out the new winches from T-Max, I am going to run one on my rig. I got a change to see them up close at SEMA OFF-ROAD in Indy, IN. They are really nice and reliable. The hands free remote is very cool as well. They are about 200 to 300 bucks cheaper then a WARN, too. Here is their website, http://www.t-maxwinches.com/.

**Disclaimer, T-Max is one of my accounts and I do handle their advertising with regards to print in PRIMEDIA's magazines. That said, I would still recommend them to my friends, they are really well built. If you have any questions call T-Max and ask for Hans. He can answer any questions and direct you to the nearest dealer.

peepers said:
:doh: edit: i did a search and thought this was the 60/62 board. guess it doesnt apply. drat.

I'm not sure about this but I think the M12000 mounts to the 60/62 bar without cuttinh the bumper. It's a tight fit and I think you have to mount the control box a little differently. There was a Toyota Trails article about this a few years back.

Heffenoche said:
There was a Toyota Trails article about this a few years back.

you dont remember the year or happen to have it do you?

Peepers,
I know Mark W from GCLC has the M12k, but I think he has the TJM bar. Not sure.
Yeah, figured you may have searched and got into here, that's why I just wanted to make sure you knew the info may not carry over to the 60s.

3fj40 - Those of us that have rear winches have homemade rear bumpers.

peepers said:
you dont remember the year or happen to have it do you?

As a matter of fact I do. Luckly it was the first one I picked up to look for it. I was wrong, there is some grinding but the author believes it to be "non-critical" I wheeled with him at GSMTR 2001 and don't remember it looking like it haveing any affect on the bar. Ohhh, it was the Jan-Feb 2002 issue of TT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom