Which Winch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I run a warn M8000. I bring a snatch block and a roughly 50 foot synthetic winch line extension and have never needed to double back yet but can if needed.

Recovery is a subject where there are a lot of experts, and I am not one, so I can only say that this setup has been good for me over the years.

What winch is everyone running? What is the lowest strength winch that would be suitable for a 100 series?

Jim
I have the Smittybilt X20 12k, you can look at it on Amazon here: Amazon product ASIN B00K150X2E
I've had it for just over a year and it works pretty damn well.

Warn m9000 here. It’s about the most basic and cheapest warn winch you can get.
(I am brand loyal to warn and believe in their USA made stuff)

Ramsey REP 8.5e here. Personally, think it's a bit light for the 100, but it was basically free from a friend. With a snatch block and double line pull it will do just fine.

I have the Smittybilt X20 12k, you can look at it on Amazon here: Amazon product ASIN B00K150X2E
I've had it for just over a year and it works pretty damn well.

The price on those has gone up since I bought mine in September of 2019 for $499. Since this much time has passed, I should change the batteries in the remote.

I bought the winch before I realized or knew that the ARB bumper likes a feet first winch with clutch clock positions that can be changed to allow access through one of the holes in the bumper. Though, I've learned that I can reach under the bumper to get to the clutch handle instead of opening the hood.

Mine gets submerged in water and/or mud roughly 2x per month. It still works. I think the lead line will be the first item that I will need to replace.

I got 4x4parts to price match Amazon and bought the equivalent of a road hazard warranty for full replacement up to 3 years should I damage it.

If I should ever need to buy another winch, I just want to make sure it is submersible.

Here, let me save others some time and cover some of the obligatory replies (not necessarily my views)
  • "Warn is made in the USA, so it's more trustworthy"
  • "The quality on [non-Warn] winches is subpar"
  • "A winch is something that when you need it, you NEED it, so don't skimp out."
  • "I'd rather spend the money to know I'm getting quality than be cheap and take my chances"
  • "I haven't run any other winch, but I have a strong opinion that Warn is the only brand to consider"
Did I miss any? Taking the piss, I admit, but I found it very frustrating to get objective info about winch performance and reliability when I was looking for a winch recently. Mud was better than some other forums, but I always saw the same refrains. I went with a Smittybilt x20 12.5k. I've used it, but haven't NEEDED it. It fits well in the 4x4labs front bumper. The 5-year electrical and lifetime mechanical warranty were the main reasons I went with it over a Badland model. Seems sturdily built.

Here, let me save others some time and cover some of the obligatory replies (not necessarily my views)
  • "Warn is made in the USA, so it's more trustworthy"
  • "The quality on [non-Warn] winches is subpar"
  • "A winch is something that when you need it, you NEED it, so don't skimp out."
  • "I'd rather spend the money to know I'm getting quality than be cheap and take my chances"
  • "I haven't run any other winch, but I have a strong opinion that Warn is the only brand to consider"
Did I miss any? Taking the piss, I admit, but I found it very frustrating to get objective info about winch performance and reliability when I was looking for a winch recently. Mud was better than some other forums, but I always saw the same refrains. I went with a Smittybilt x20 12.5k. I've used it, but haven't NEEDED it. It fits well in the 4x4labs front bumper. The 5-year electrical and lifetime mechanical warranty were the main reasons I went with it over a Badland model. Seems sturdily built.
That's funny. The advice that I received (not on Mud) when I started looking was to spend $1,600 on a winch and another $250 on an additional item so you can show that you can spend a lot of money. Then I started collecting various types of recovery gear that are must-have items. Everybody should consider having an assortment of recovery gear. When you really need to use the winch, you don't want to realize that that one recovery item you didn't buy is keeping you from recovering or doing a recovery. Next will come trail communications and storage boxes and stuff to put inside the boxes. :)

Recovery gear is not something you should skim... oh... wait. Sorry.

I do have a Warn winch. But that's because I'm old - I've had Warn winches going back to the time when there were only three brands. But, I know lots of guys who are way more hardcore than I am who use Smittybilt, Comeup and other non-Warn brands.

The only point I will argue about is synthetic vs. steel line. Once synthetic was developed and proven, steel line should have ceased to exist in this space.

To answer OP question: To be safe- lowest strength min rating 9000+lbs

Pulling load is rated at the drum and one layer of line- so consider you would have to unfurl most of your winch line (60-70 + feet) to achieve max pulling power on a level straight line unmired pull get to that rating.

On a 100 series cruiser 9000lbs should be your min target. Yes use of a snatch block increases pulling power of the winch 2:1 - (as long as the snatch block secured directly to the load and WLL of block, shackles, rope, hooks etc is not exceeded)

Difference between most 9500 and 12.5 options often times is just gearing, drums and rope thickness: motors and housing often same. 9.5 will spool faster than 12.5 due to gearing. For some, speed is important. Also greater the load, more amps the winch draws- more demand on battery and alternator. 12.5 with same motor as a 9.5 should draw fewer amps due to lower gearing ratio.

One consideration when choosing rated pulling load is the type of conditions you could anticipate to be recovered from. Load is exponentially applied the deeper a truck is buried, or the steeper the grade or obstacle your climbing up and over, or the angle. There are calculations for these scenarios and should be understood. You can print a list to keep handy in your truck just in case you question your situation. IMHO Go with the largest rated winch you can fit into your bumper & winch mount.

Most Respected Longstanding Brands: WARN & SuperWinch. Gaining some cred is ComeUp. I have a ComeUp 12.5k Seal Gen2 for 5 yrs only used it a handful of times- reliable so far. ComeUp has been around for 40yrs internationally about 7-8 in the US. Made in Taiwan which is an arguably better manufacturing origin than China IME. It’s a decent brand with very good domestic US support.

WARN us the gold standard- really can’t go wrong there and more than ever buying US made is best. I think I noticed some 10% Black Friday deals on various 4x4 sites.

M12000. I replaced the steel line to synthetic to shave some weight. It's a heavy beast but I never worry about it getting the job done. I'm a firm believer that as long as your truck can handle the weight you can never have to much winch.

Nope, mine is a vintage made-in-the-USA M9000 from the year 2004. Bought it off Craigslist
Got it, makes sense! Wish they had that in the lineup when I was shopping. Looks like 9k is available now but only in the XD Line (or in their overseas lines).

Most Respected Longstanding Brands: WARN & SuperWinch. Gaining some cred is ComeUp. I have a ComeUp 12.5k Seal Gen2 for 5 yrs only used it a handful of times- reliable so far. ComeUp has been around for 40yrs internationally about 7-8 in the US. Made in Taiwan which is an arguably better manufacturing origin than China IME. It’s a decent brand with very good domestic US support.

WARN us the gold standard- really can’t go wrong there and more than ever buying US made is best. I think I noticed some 10% Black Friday deals on various 4x4 sites.
IIRC, Superwinch went out of business and then somebody bought them up. I would probably buy a Comeup over Superwinch today. But I still prefer Warn Premium winches (not VR).

I went with a warm M12k because I bought it used, non functional, and cheap. $80 in contacts, $20 in grease, good as new. I’ve since upgraded the control box and remote so I don’t have the contacts anymore which seems pretty great.

I have no clue about any other mfg but getting Warn parts was super easy from either Warn or Amazon, summit racing, etc. Warn customer service was a breeze to deal with as well! If I had to disassemble the winch on the trail for some reason it’s no big deal as I’m now familiar with it.

However: That sucker is heavy!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom