Which winch? (1 Viewer)

Would you run on an FJ60?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

theferg

SILVER Star
Threads
So I've been thinking about outfitting a winch and I am wondering which winch would be best to run on an FJ60. A heavy FJ60. Bull bar front bumper, custom side bars with sliders, roof rack, long range fuel tank, custom rear bumper and spare tire carrier, sliding rear drawer system, 35 inch tires, and a trail tralier sometimes.

So which would work the best for this situation? Why?

Thanks,
-Ferg-

An excellent question. What winch is your bullbar designed to carry? What are the obvious fitment options? What do you want

If you can physically fit the 8274, then why would you ever consider anything like an inferior low mount? If the 8274 fits, get it, use it and be happy with it.

[quote author=Mike S link=board=14;threadid=11157;start=msg100999#msg100999 date=1076180972]
An excellent question. What winch is your bullbar designed to carry? What are the obvious fitment options? What do you want
[/quote]

Actaully haven't purchased the bullbar yet. Was going to figure out which winch was best for my application and then get the appropriate bullbar.

-Ferg-

[quote author=Junk link=board=14;threadid=11157;start=msg101008#msg101008 date=1076182142]
If you can physically fit the 8274, then why would you ever consider anything like an inferior low mount? If the 8274 fits, get it, use it and be happy with it.
[/quote]

I've never used a winch before so I didn't know which mount style was better. What makes a low mount winch inferior? Yes, I've heard that the 8274 is a badass winch, but what makes it better than a M12000 or M15000?

-Ferg-

What winch is the ARB bar designed to carry? There may be other bars but the ARB is a standard. For the 80 the choice is dictated by ARB and by Slee-their bumpers fit the M-12000. If you can go custom front, the 8274 is a proven unit in wide and long term use. The only advice I might offer is to get the strongest winch that will fit your space.

theferg, ARB also offers a commercial bar for the 80 that takes the 8274 - I had one and sold it. Overall the design is much better on the 8274. I'd really suggest you post this in the tech section as not many venture down here to the nethers of outfitting. Talk to Shed Guy too, he really knows his stuff (but don't tell him I said that :D ).

i have the 8274 and love it of course.

I'm saving for the 8274-50 for my FJ60 - I'll make it fit ;)

Why?
They are strong, I'd say under-rated (remember they kept the same rating when they switched to the bigger 4.6hp motor?)
They're fast, much better when helping yourself by driving forward.
Lighter weight on the bumper than the others,
Work well with that fancy blue rope,
Important bits located higher (spend more time out of the mud and water)
Shedguy, told me a couple good mods to make them even better (have to look for those notes)
Guys that really use their winches (like every time they go wheeling) love these of all the electric winches.

But, mostly 'cause Junk says so! :flipoff2:

[quote author=pismojim link=board=14;threadid=11157;start=msg101335#msg101335 date=1076228904]
But, mostly 'cause Junk says so! :flipoff2:[/quote]
LOL :D

I had Shed Guy send me notes on it too, so if you can't find them, let me know and I'll shoot them off to you. Maybe Woody could incorporate them into the tech section.

While I don't get myself stuck very often (I'm too much of a pussy with my 40), it has pulled quite a few "drivin too fast on snowy roads" tourists out of the ditches.

Good luck.

Used my 8274-50 today while out in the snow.

Would not even think of purchasing another brand winch, and unless fitment became a serious issue, would not by another model.

Good luck!

-Steve

What, no votes for the factory PTO winch? :D
And why doesn't anyone go hydraulic? You could actually use an
electrically operated PS pump, so it'll work even if the motor's not
running.
Dual battery setup (or 24V system, as I plan to go) would keep the
pump operating just as long as an electric winch, but the rating would
be higher.
Just a thought.

[quote author=hj60 link=board=14;threadid=11157;start=msg101751#msg101751 date=1076300114]
running.
Dual battery setup (or 24V system, as I plan to go) would keep the
pump operating just as long as an electric winch, but the rating would
be higher.
Just a thought.
[/quote]

:rolleyes:

Because they suck, period.

Currious,

Have you ever winched anything, or been involved in vehicle recovery?

hydraulic sucks dude. would you think that there is a reason why just about everyone has the 8274 unless they can't get it to work with their setup? :flipoff2:

[quote author=hj60 link=board=14;threadid=11157;start=msg101751#msg101751 date=1076300114]
What, no votes for the factory PTO winch? :D
running.[/quote]
That's why I said "of all the electric winches" ;)
I haven't figured out how to keep all my accessories, smog, AC, PS, etc. and somehow fit another hydraulic pump. The PTO isn't a realistic option either for my FJ60.

So how about some details about using a "electrically operated PS pump". Anyone doing this? Seems inefficient to me.

Way innefficient.

For the money wasted on making this pipe dream work, you could get another winch, welding cables, connectors and four more batteries at least....

But ya know, there was once a write up on the LCMC about making a diesel-electric Land Cruiser that would operate on 78V, had seperate wheel motors, and blah blah blah...

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

I will stick with what has been proven for years to work:

WARN 8274.

[quote author=Poser link=board=14;threadid=11157;start=msg101794#msg101794 date=1076303125]
:rolleyes:

Because they suck, period.

Currious,

Have you ever winched anything, or been involved in vehicle recovery?

[/quote]

Winching? No. Never had the money for a winch of my own.
Vehicle recovery? Yes, many times. Sometimes even someone else's rig. :D
I guess I've just been lucky. Never found myself in a situation where either I or one of the other vehicles with
me wasn't able to get out with just a strap or a ComeAlong. Even buried up to the frame in goo. (Helped that
one of the vehicles with me that day was an F-350 PowerStroke. :D )

hj60, don't think I'd want to depend on a comalong to move my truck to far dude. Some folks don't need winches, those that do need ones that work when they are needed the most.

Don't sacrifice on sliders, roll cage or recovery gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom