1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which wheels for low pressure

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by theo, Feb 18, 2004.

1. theo

theo

Have any of you ever had problems with your wheels spinning inside the tire while aired down? Just wondering if Rock Crawlers or other popular non-bead lock wheels are knurled or machined in some way to help prevent this.

thanks,
    theo

2. pygpen

pygpen

I've never had this problemon the cruiser, even aired down to 5 psi with 35X12's on 8 inch rims.
    I did have a problem with this on an old firbird I used to have :D
    PMK

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    They are not knurled, and do not have anything special about them, other than the price.

If you are going run a 12.50 wide tire, I would mount them on an 8" wheel, to increase the force that the tire is putting on the bead area, even at low pressure, a 14.50 wide, I would use a 10" wheel, and so on.

Running low air presure with a 12.50 on a 10" wheel, will lead to the bead area getting things wedged into it(dirt, sand, mud, small stones, etc) in low air pressure, and sometimes high pressure off road situations, creating leaks and a overall pain in the butt.

Could just be me....but I do not think so...

Good luck!

-Steve

4. theo

theo

Always wanted a firebird!

I've been thinking I want 33 x 10.50s. So I figured an 8" rim would be about right. That wouldn't put as much outward pressure on the bead like you recommend, but it might reduce the amount of sidewall bulge. Or maybe I shouldn't worry so much about bulge? (It's just that I'm getting a little too familiar with my own personal bulge. :D)

I'm a dork when it comes to wheels. I thought Rock Crawlers were popular because they were stronger than others. Is it just that they look cool? Couldn't be. Not sure which ones I should be looking at, just don't want chincey.

5. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Just a name, they are not implying any more strenght...

6. Jonathan_Ferguson

Jonathan_Ferguson ★ is in the wrong locale SILVER Star

The most Popular Steel Rim in Australia is easily the ROH Trak II, But is'nt availible in Black so they get the US Wheel Rock Crawler at about twice the price. :banana:

7. pygpen

pygpen

[quote author=theo link=board=1;threadid=11740;start=msg106954#msg106954 date=1077137713]
    Always wanted a firebird!

I'm a dork when it comes to wheels. I thought Rock Crawlers were popular because they were stronger than others. Is it just that they look cool? Couldn't be. Not sure which ones I should be looking at, just don't want chincey.

[/quote]

I think they are popular because they are cheap, durable, and repairable on the trail with a BFH. unlike aluminum.

8. erfworm

erfworm

theo, I have 35x12.50s on the 8 inch rockcrawler rims and air them down all the time haven't lost a bead yet, even at 4 psi pushing snow drifts all the way up to the sheep mountain traihead two weeks ago. I would think that if you are going to run 33x10.50s you could get away with using stock 6 inch wide rims and essentially have the same effect as the 12.50 on an 8 in. My roomate runs that set up on his 80. P.s. I have stock FJ62 wheels kicking around :D
    Nick