Which VDO temp sending unit for 2f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John McVicker

SILVER Star
Threads
1986 stock 2f engine.

Need to know which VDO temp sending unit to buy for my 250* VDO gauge.

Have the gauge but not the proper sending unit. I've found out that using the stock sender gives false readings with the VDO gauge.

Doesn't it use the VDO 250° sender, #323-095?

Don't know. VDO does have that sender #323-095, which is 1/8"-27 NPT thread. JimC, if you think that sounds correct, I'll order that one. I'll see if my local Napa has it.

EDIT: I'll take your word for it Jim. My Napa will have it here tomorrow...$20. Thanks!

Last edited:
The 1/8NPT can be drilled & tapped into a brass 3/8BSPT plug to screw into the t-stat housing in place of a BVSV.

If the stock gage is being abandoned entirely, then a M16x1.5 VDO sender can be screwed into the stock cyl head sender adapter.

Some cyl heads have an unused temp port 2 headbolts in front of the gage sender. The big 1/2BSPT plug can also be drilled & tapped for the little 1/8NPT sender.

Last edited:
There's another possible way to skin this cat. Remove a 3/8BSPT BVSV from the T-stat housing, run a slightly larger 3/8NPT tap into the hole, then thread in a 3/8NPT sender. This only applies on a desmogged engine.

The 1/8NPT can be drilled & tapped into a brass 3/8BSPT plug to screw into the t-stat housing in place of a BVSV.

If the stock gage is being abandoned entirely, then a M16x1.5 VDO sender can be screwed into the stock cyl head sender adapter.

Some cyl heads have an unused temp port 2 headbolts in front of the gage sender. The big 1/2BSPT plug can also be drilled & tapped for the little 1/8NPT sender.

Ok, that changes things...I do plan to screw it into the stock cly head. So does this sound right: VDO # 323-417 which has M 16 X 1.5 threads. Thanks.

Maybe not relevant as I've never seen a 2F lower housing. But the 3F lower has a bonus port that I am going to thread and use for my Gage to keep the stock one as well.

IMG_20180813_181255966.jpg

Ok, that changes things...I do plan to screw it into the stock cly head. So does this sound right: VDO # 323-417 which has M 16 X 1.5 threads. Thanks.

Update: I'm trying to keep this simple and just use a new sending unit that screws into the stock cly head...BUT... my Napa does not recognize the VDO # 323-417, even tho on the VDO web site it clearly shows it. So tomorrow I will go into my local Napa & see what we can come up with. To

May have to do what JimC suggested in his post # 5. I guess 2 gauges is better than one, but am trying to keep this simple.

Last edited:
I've had good results buying parts from Summit that are not in stock. They will say "ships in 2 weeks", but what usually happens is the order is immediately forwarded to the mfg., and they put it in the mail the next day.
VDO Temperature Senders 323417

Hi, I have had good luck with Summit, the one in the Dallas area is great to deal with . Bought my transmission cooler there. Mike

Mike & JimC, good idea & I agree with you about Summit. My plan is to go in to Napa today & show them the Summit site that has the 323417, & see if that helps them find it in their books. If they can't find it I'll go ahead & order it from Summit.

EDIT: I just went ahead & ordered it straight from Summit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom