Which V8

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by 83white, Jul 2, 2005.

1. 83white

83white

350 or 302. I have a shop doing the work so it's not my trouble. Just trying to figure out which I would be better off with. Using a auto also and will be in the mountains a lot.

2. Tinker

Tinker

Vortec 350 & 4L60E with stock GM controller - got mine from a recycler for under $2,500, delivered & guaranteed (supposedly had 40K mi). Get the 2WD version of the trans so it'll match up to the Advance adapter. With 4.10s & 33X10.5 MTRs it turns 2,200 RPM at 75mph, & will downshift to 2nd for passing. (I live at 7,000' & commute to 6,200').

Ended up having to get the trans rebuilt because a now ex-employee was doing neutral drops with it, & found a great shop that built it to shift more solidly & faster without the jarring effects of what I found out are "cheapo" B&M kits.

3. MutleyFJ62

MutleyFJ62

Toyota quad cam V8. The 1UZ-FE, match it to a 4 speed auto. My $0.02 worth....

4. VETTE60

VETTE60

Media:
    Albums:
    i'd say go with the 350. way more options, and parts are a dime a dozen. ive done two so far, and it's a good way to go. should be able to get one cheap from a wrecker. i went nv4500 with the 6.34 gear set. either way auto or stick is really a personal issue. i preffer the bullet proof-ness of straight up gears but if you get a built auto you should be good. don't get me wrong the new toy v-8's are great, but your gonna shell out a lot more cabbage for that.

5. freebornred

freebornred

YEAH! BABY!

6. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

GMs fuel injection archetecture has been much more researched and reverse-engineered. You can do a lot more with it. Ford's is just a PIA to deal with.

Unless you mean a 69 SS Camaro 302, then sell that baby to a collector and buy a Vortec with the money.

7. PolishX

PolishX

yep

gp with the 350 , you can make it into a 383 , or just use millions of parts , I mean 350;s hace only been around forever

8. Tinker

Tinker

Unless you're Rod Millen with the financial backing of TRD, the quad-cam Toy motor is out of reach.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.