Which used water pump to use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last time I put the engine together people told me to use the 300k pump-they never fail...

Of course I want to replace whatever I can.

I do appreciate the insights and opinions.
I do understand and sorry if my response was harsh. None of us have unlimited funds. So we are always trying to focus it on the stuff that NEEDS to be replaced and keep the stuff that was well within its life span. I just think the coolant system on the 80 is super critical. Like a lot of parts it is only as good as its weakest link.

So let me say this. If you are running old hoses I would put all new OEM hoses in before the new pump.

Some of us don't have that idler pulley....

If you don't use one i think you need to at least put a bolt in the hole. No 100% on that.

I do understand and sorry if my response was harsh. None of us have unlimited funds. So we are always trying to focus it on the stuff that NEEDS to be replaced and keep the stuff that was well within its life span. I just think the coolant system on the 80 is super critical. Like a lot of parts it is only as good as its weakest link.

So let me say this. If you are running old hoses I would put all new OEM hoses in before the new pump.

I took no offense to your post. This is mud. I build and service machines for the beverage industry and work on old AF jets too. We don’t have to be experts and it’s good to have others to lean on.

Some of us don't have that idler pulley....

If you don't use one i think you need to at least put a bolt in the hole. No 100% on that.
You do NOT need a bolt in the empty hole. It us a blind hole.

My PO eliminated that and other parts before I got it. I have since added stuff back to it as i.find what's missing.

Both the Toyota and NGK pulleys are not available on Rock Auto right now. I guess I’ll get the Gates pulley.

You don't need the idler pulley, it's pretty much useless on our engine.

I ended up replacing mine when mine was shrieking like a canary in a vice.

If it does that again, it will just go in the trash and be done.

Been discussed a long time ago; IIRC the consensus was that the purpose of the alternator belt idler pulley is to keep loose belts from jumping around, it's not designed to take the slack out of the belts as in most other vehicles. Properly adjusted belts probably don't need the idler pulley (when was the last time most of us checked our belt tension?) but I figure that the engineers that put it there had a reason. FWIW.

You'll know when your belts aren't tensioned enough because they will slip on your fan pulley causing you to spew coolant out of your overflow. Ask me how I know...

I’m willing to bet either of those pumps would work just fine for tens of not hundreds of thousands more miles. But I also understand the reasoning behind just getting a new one.

You're probably right, but I would certainly sleep better with a new pump...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom