Which truck should I buy? 83 vs 88 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, need some insight on which truck to buy. I have two that I'm looking at.

1983 Pickup Reg cab - $5500 (Canadian)

_27%201.jpg

_271.jpg

_27.jpg

Ad description:
1983 Toyota Pickup many things have been done almost is all new
6" Lift, Swivel Rear Shackles, 1990's power steering box rebuilt upgrade just replaced the power steering pump, 283 Chevy V8 with turbo 350 trans, Northern Aluminum Radiator with electric fan, front axle beef up, upgraded birfields, Landcruiser Hi Pinion 3rd with Detroit Locker, All new upper and lower kingpins and bearings and front axle was a complete rebuild.
Rear axle upgraded axles 8'' 4 pinion
3rd with lock Right Locker
Bilenstein on all 4 corners
Long Spline front drive shaft
36" Interco TSL Iroks with less then 5000km
8000lb Warn Winch with inside controls
Small winch on deck of truck
Flowmaster Exhaust
243000 km's

I've looked at this truck in person. It's in good shape but overheats. Rad is too small for the V8. A rad relocate to the back should fix this I'd think. Wouldn't take much work.

---or---

1988 Pickup Ext Cab - $3500 (Canadian)

_27%202.jpg

Ad description:
4 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift, 35 inch dick cepek tires, 22RE Engine with 230000 Kms. 15 inch cragar soft 8 rims, power locks and windows, 456 gear ratio, aftermarket electric cooling fan and headlights, 6 inch rigid grill mounted lights. Truck runs great
346000 km's

Haven't seen this one in person as it's 10 hours away. Cheaper price, but looks like it's in good shape. Would require a lot of work and money to get it near the other truck in terms of modifications. I'm pretty sure it's IFS.

I'm torn between the two. The main thing for me is the standard cab vs extended. I prefer the ext. However the regular cab has so much already done to it.

Just looking for any insight or anything obvious that I'm missing as I'm new to the older Toyotas. I currently drive a 2012 4Runner Trail that's been fairly modded. I love it, but want to get in something older.

Compared to others I am no expert, however I would say trailering it 10 hours is probably going to cost a good bit of $$$ and there is the added thrill of possible breakdown if you are driving it. If the single cab is already built with the time and $$$ then I would say figure out a way to maximize the cab space and get it. That's just me. I am sure there is someone else who will have the exact opposite answer for you

Compared to others I am no expert, however I would say trailering it 10 hours is probably going to cost a good bit of $$$ and there is the added thrill of possible breakdown if you are driving it. If the single cab is already built with the time and $$$ then I would say figure out a way to maximize the cab space and get it. That's just me. I am sure there is someone else who will have the exact opposite answer for you

Very good points. Breaking down would be awful on the way home. Thanks for the input! I'll keep it in mind.

You'll wish you had gone with the extra cab if you ever need more space/need to sleep in the truck in the mountains. You're also less likely to break things with a 22re vs a 350 if you're heavy on the skinny pedal. But if it was me I'd get the 83 and deal with the less space.

You'll wish you had gone with the extra cab if you ever need more space/need to sleep in the truck in the mountains. You're also less likely to break things with a 22re vs a 350 if you're heavy on the skinny pedal. But if it was me I'd get the 83 and deal with the less space.

I'm actually thinking that if I pull the Chev 283 and throw a 22RE in (or something like it), it'll solve the cooling issue and I won't have to put a rad in the bed. As far as camping goes, I'd fab up a removable rack to throw a roof top tent on. Hmm... so far two leaning towards the 83.

Well...

Insurance won't touch the 83 and the seller of the 88 isn't responding.

Guess my search continues. Maybe I'll save some more pennies for a Landcruiser.

I'd take the '88 all day long.

Where is the '88? I'm in the Vancouver area if you need someone to put eyeballs on something. Well, I'll be gone surfing until mid April, but after that...

Where is the '88? I'm in the Vancouver area if you need someone to put eyeballs on something. Well, I'll be gone surfing until mid April, but after that...

It's in Banff, but thanks for the offer! I may actually end up going out your way and bringing something back. Only problem with that is an out of province inspection that will be required.

You can read up on the rules for out of province inspections, some things are common sense. Big no no's are broken windows, gapping rust holes, tire coverage, general safety things for being legal for road use. Anything that has anything to do with frame modifications will never get past an MVI. Engine swaps aren't an issue and it's not like you have emissions testing either.

BC trucks will be clean and shouldn't give you too many inspection issues for rusting to pieces but the prices out here are sure as hell inflated.

You can read up on the rules for out of province inspections, some things are common sense. Big no no's are broken windows, gapping rust holes, tire coverage, general safety things for being legal for road use. Anything that has anything to do with frame modifications will never get past an MVI. Engine swaps aren't an issue and it's not like you have emissions testing either.

BC trucks will be clean and shouldn't give you too many inspection issues for rusting to pieces but the prices out here are sure as hell inflated.
Thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom