which tranny? (1 Viewer)

which tranny?

• same as before, and go with a $250 H42?

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • go through SOR, and buy a "serviced" $820 H41

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • go through SOR, and buy a "non-serviced" $680 H41

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • go through MAF, and buy a "non serviced" $650 H41

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
im looking at a total tranny overhaul for my '87 fj60. question...obviously price will play a huge roll here, but which direction would you go considering stock 373 gearing and 33's??

Last edited:
theres also the high price option of the H55...$1550

You can have the good H41 from my '83 for $100 - pick up in Castle Rock!

Tinker said:
You can have the good H41 from my '83 for $100 - pick up in Castle Rock!

you have PM!!!! thank you!

I vote for the H55f. Most of the $ in the swap is your labor anyway, so that being the case, the H55 is the same amount of work or less, plus the tranny is BRAND NEW. The H41 is a step in the right direction, but the H55 is what you want.

BTW Tinker-if hullendersauce comes to his senses and gets the H55, I'll give you the $100 plus shipping for the H41 which I want to put in my FJ40 with my spare FJ60 split case.

Go with the H55 for the best of both. Low first gear and overdrive.

1 question though...doesnt my split have 19 spline? and doesnt an H41 have 16???

I think that the NV4500 would be a good choice, but that's me.

If not then the H42.

:beer:

thanks!

well, H55 will have to wait. im still really not that sold on it. im still geared at 373, and will only ever run 33's, so the 5th doesnt seem that desirable. and from what i hear, its a 'small' 5th. as far as the low 1st, IM SOLD! especially since i stuck myself with these 373's after my ARB install (duhhhhh). guess ill have to drive one to really appreciate it (CardinalFJ60???...lol)

i ended up buyin $100 H42, and calln it quits. im havin clutch job done on it at same time, so all is well. -other sean

GLTHFJ60 said:
Tell us when you have it installed to share your H42 experiences.

The H42 is the standard tranny that ALL U.S. production Land Cruisers came with. H41's were found on non-U.S. Land Cruisers and come in both 16 and 19 spline versions. I'll be using one on the '67 FJ45LV with a 3 speed transfer case and an overdrive if I can find one.

well, if Tinkers H41 is a 19 spline, im buying that...if not, im buying anohter used H42. -S

correction. tinker has a H42

Tapage said:
Another for H55F second option used H42 19 splines .. ;)
David, why the H42 which is not too common here in Central America over the H41 which is common?
If there are issues with the H41 I'd like to know before going for the H41 in the FJ45LV. I'll be using a 16 spline H41 with the three speed transfer case behind a 3B with aftermarket turbo.

cruiser_guy said:
David, why the H42 which is not too common here in Central America over the H41 which is common?
If there are issues with the H41 I'd like to know before going for the H41 in the FJ45LV. I'll be using a 16 spline H41 with the three speed transfer case behind a 3B with aftermarket turbo.

im pretty sure he was suggesting the H42 because of my "particular" situtaion, ie: USA, 19 spline transfer case, blah, blah.
the H41 would a SWEET setup if it was more available here in USA. -other sean

Sorry. I was mistaken. The H41 should be your choice then, if not the NV4500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom