Which tools to remove cone washers?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, put me back to newb status. Can't get my cone washers off, anyone have any special tools or magic methods to get them off??

BFH? Little smack.

15 sec for all 6
Cone washer tool.jpg

Leave the nuts on the very end of the studs to protect the studs and keep the cone washers from flying off. Hit the studs with a whack from a BFH or even better a brass hammer. They will pop out.

Besides the BFH method, you can also use a small 3mm sharpened chisel. Put the point into the slot of the cone wasner and give it a tap to spread the washer. Comes right out.

Smack the studs each with a 2lb hammer - lightly at first, then harder as needed. The little suckers just pop off.

I'll second (or third, or fourth) heat and a brass hammer. About 30 seconds per side to get them all out the second time.

The first time took a few hours lol.

You can also hit the side of the hub where the drive flange meets. This works well if pounding the studs isn't working.

Besides the BFH method, you can also use a small 3mm sharpened chisel. Put the point into the slot of the cone wasner and give it a tap to spread the washer. Comes right out.
I use a small screwdriver but it's the same principal.

I also have copper hammer that works well, no need to leave the nuts on just tap the stud, the copper won't hurt the threads and the threads don't get distorted as can happen when you whack on the nut with a steel hammer.

Thanks for all the suggestions/reminders; didn't try smacking the ends of the studs, tried a screwdriver into the slots but that didn't work, didn't try anything sharper like a chisel and don't have any air tools; think it's time to buy some chisels and a compressor. Ended up smacking each washer from opposite sides with a screwdriver and hammer, they all finally came out, but all together I spent about an hour trying to get those suckers off. Was doing all this to tighten up the wheel bearings and once I got the drive flange off I found the inner spindle nut to be hand loose so starting another thread about that with photos.

I use a small screwdriver but it's the same principal.

I also have copper hammer that works well, no need to leave the nuts on just tap the stud, the copper won't hurt the threads and the threads don't get distorted as can happen when you whack on the nut with a steel hammer.

The main reason to leave the nuts on the stud is to keep the cone washers from shooting across the garage, yard, whatever, when they do let loose.

They do shoot off, had to clean out my whole garage to find a couple of those suckers to finish putting my junk back together

It took me a while to figure this out (I'm slow sometimes) - everyone says to hit it with a hammer, I was hitting straight down on the end on the stud, but what you want to do is to hit perpendicular to the stud, which moves the stud side-to-side, and they pop right out. I have a big brass drift I use - works great.

It took me a while to figure this out (I'm slow sometimes) - everyone says to hit it with a hammer, I was hitting straight down on the end on the stud, but what you want to do is to hit perpendicular to the stud, which moves the stud side-to-side, and they pop right out. I have a big brass drift I use - works great.

I would strongly advise that you DO NOT hit the studs with anything. Ever.

EDIT 2: I would advise hitting the flange, not the studs.

EDIT: I should add, "This is just my opinion".

Last edited:
I would strongly advise that you DO NOT hit the studs with anything. Ever.

EDIT 2: I would advise hitting the flange, not the studs.

EDIT: I should add, "This is just my opinion".

I would strongly advise that you read the FSM you pimp in your sig line.

SA-7 to be specific...available free on this forum by BirfMark

Seems like there could be some sort of tool that would compress them and then pull them off, like a mini-hydraulic puller? That will be my next project, not. Thanks for all the suggestions. Now on to the wheel bearing thread.

I would strongly advise that you read the FSM you pimp in your sig line.

SA-7 to be specific

Again, just my opinion. Tapping on the flange works just as well, without the chance of damaging threads or bending studs.

EDIT: You're right, but if we're getting all specific, the page you are referring to is SA-8. At least, in the copy of the FSM that I paid for from TIS, it is on SA-8.
sa8.jpg

Last edited:
Krapp, now I remember seeing that illustration before, but does it work??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom