Which tire 42" TSL or IROK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I "THINK" I have decided on 42" tires for my rig. I wanted the 44's, but I need to get wider wheels, and I really do not like the 18.5" wide tire.

What does everyone think. Mud, rocks, mud.

I've heard bad things about both and good things about both. A $1300 investment needs a little thinking ahead.

I've had the TSL, I've heard the IROK grips better, but I've heard the IROK doesn't do as well in the mud. I've heard it doesn't clean out as well.

I can't make up my mind. I've got 4.10's in my axles now with my 39.5".

I know everyone says that's too high geared, but my motor is plenty strong. I think it will handle the 42's ok, for now. I will eventually re-gear, but not right now. I need some detroits before I re-gear.

JRFJ4- said:
I "THINK" I have decided on 42" tires for my rig. I wanted the 44's, but I need to get wider wheels, and I really do not like the 18.5" wide tire.

What does everyone think. Mud, rocks, mud.

I've heard bad things about both and good things about both. A $1300 investment needs a little thinking ahead.

I've had the TSL, I've heard the IROK grips better, but I've heard the IROK doesn't do as well in the mud. I've heard it doesn't clean out as well.

I can't make up my mind. I've got 4.10's in my axles now with my 39.5".

I know everyone says that's too high geared, but my motor is plenty strong. I think it will handle the 42's ok, for now. I will eventually re-gear, but not right now. I need some detroits before I re-gear.

You're not smoking your clutch with 4.10's & 39.5's? Judging by the looks of the Irok, I'd think it'll clean well due to the wider spacing of the lugs - no need to groove them with the skinnier 3 stage lug pattern. Tough choice here as there's no other options for a 42" tire that I know of, maybe Ground Hawg makes a 42" (?) The pricing of the 2 is only a few $$ cheaper for the TSL. I think the Irok's would wear out faster, so get the TSL's & groove them.......

Smoking clutch

Gearing is too tall on the road. 55 mph is around 1900-2000 rpm in 4th gear.

But off road, the Cruisers handles 2nd gear in 4 lo fine. It starts off in 2nd with no hesitation. It will not start off in third in the mud, but once it gets spinning, it will handle third gear.

You gotta remember the 1st gear in a 465 is very very low. 6.73 I think.

Motor will spin tires at will. No problem there.

JR

Mace/Woody What do you think?

Which tires guys? Let me know.

JR

Iroks!!!! All the way. I have 39.5 on my cruiser and love them. They are a little bit taller than my Buddys 39.5 TSL. Another thing I noticed is that the Iroks are alot lighter.. :beer: :beer:

iroks. they are sized truer and are lighter. they clean very well. i run the 36s on my 68 and easily walk places where oy buddies beat on their truck to get through. hit me up when you decide to regear. i am in vance. middle bama. and ill be glad to help out. im gonna get some 42iroks for my buggy when i build it.

Mostly mud? TSL's..

I love the 42" Iroks. But they don't have the mud tread that the TSL's do, and they wear.. Quick...

Course, that means you get another set of new tires sooner right???

I still want a new set of 44x 16.50 pittbulls..
They just have to start making them ;)

Ive had 42 swampers. I liked them. But, everyone I know who wheels IROK's (and that's a lot of people) LOVE them as they have loved no other tire. I would go 42" IROK's.

42'S on Hold

My tire purchase has been put on hold for now.

I traded my wore out 39.5" tires for a equally wore out set of 44" boggers.

Changing tires today hopefully. I ordered Motive 5.13 gears this morning. They will be here Monday.

I'm gonna run these for awhile.

JR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom