which swap is easiest? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I believe I spun a bearing in the front output cone on my tcase. 74 4speed. I also have a 79 as a parts vehicle with a complete tranny t-case that are in good shape. I was planning to just swap the transmission and tcases together, bot I can't get the tranny out of the donor vehicle. I think the splines are probably rusted to the clutch disk? It wiggles, but wont come out. so I began to think that it might be easier to swap the cone or the t'case only. Would either of these options be easier than trying to fight this tranny out? my next step is going to be hooking the porta power to the back and pulling the tranny till something gives, which seems likely to break something. any ideas will be considered, thankyou

Jetboy said:
I think the splines are probably rusted to the clutch disk? It wiggles, but wont come out. so I began to think that it might be easier to swap the cone or the t'case only. Would either of these options be easier than trying to fight this tranny out?

More commonly the pilot bearing is frozen on the nose of the input shaft. You just have to get manly with it. Big pry bars and wedges can help get it out far enough so that you can get a nut in betwen the tranny and the bellhousing. Then you can thread a bolt into the nut and the bellhousing and turn the nut to press the tranny out.

What makes you think that you have a bad/ 'spun' bearing in your nose cone?

Why would you just not remove the nose cone, replace the bearing, seal, stake nut, nosecone gasket on the case and be done with it?

Just wondering. Have done that a few times.

Good luck!

-Steve

I get some noise when in 4 high or low, and there is gear lube coming out of the front of the cone. I guess I should take it apart. the last time this happened on my pinion it destroyed the 3rd member housing and the pinion. I Think you might be right though I'll check it our tomorrow, I had assumed that it was probably wrecked. I also have not ever removed a nosecone and was not sure how hard it was and if it was possible to replace the bearing and seals without a press and if it required removing the output shaft. I'm a bit of a landcruiser novice hiluxes are what I have always had. thanks for the direction.

its real easy to pull the nose cone off, remove driveshaft, remove the linkage, remove the 6? bolts, have pan under to catch oil or drain transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom