1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which sucks worse, Lowes or Home Depot?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by macneill, Aug 28, 2006.

1. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

Or would that be trying to determine the lesser of two evils?

Both stores here suck and blow at the same time.

2. bridges

bridges

Media:
    Albums:
    No issues with the lowes here, Home Depot is a 30 minute wait minimum if you need to find an employee for a specfic dept.

3. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

Depot suckage is in a whole different dimension. I really liked Lowes until they installed the self checkout crap. But at least they still have enough humans working the register.

I avoid Depot like the plague.

4. Zimm

Zimm

lowes' kobalt mechanics tools are made in the USA. home depots stuff is all chinese...

ummm... stock wise, lowes is a better pick but both are trading lower than they should. ripples from the housing scare i understand. not sure thats fixable by management. not sure when to buy 'em, but id guess, not right now.

5. srplus

srplus Walked with the Dinosaurs

lesser of two evils... I prefer dealing with local businesses.

But, if I have to go to either, I have had better results as far as staff intelligence at HD in my area... and a little better ratio of help to customers. Lowes (around here) has very few employees, let alone ones that even have any kind of clue as to what they continue to ramble on about. Most, at either store, whether knowledgeable or not, are more than happy to give you their opinion and just keep talking and talking and talking. If they are talking, they do not have to ‘work’. If I am going to have to listen to someone talk - I prefer they have a clue as to what they are talking about.

I have talked enuf. But, you do need that fourth category for your poll. LOCAL BIZ!

6. koop

koop

About the same. Our Lowes and HD are accross the street from each other. Difference is HD has all these old grandfatherly types and Lowes hires Mexican street gang members. They are helpful, but it's weird.

Excuse me.

Wha chu want esse.

I'm looking for drywall screws.

Aisle nueve

Thanks, aisle nine right?

Si mon.

7. ATLcrusher

ATLcrusher

Here the HD guys are more helpful (but can be hard to find), and the Lowe's guys (90% of the time) are just f--ing clueless.

8. BLKDOG40

BLKDOG40

I blame Lowes for trying to be a home decor 'one stop shop' and dragging home depot in that direction. I just want a great selection of wood, tools and hardware. I'll go to sears if I need a refrigerator, vacuum cleaner, food processor, etc

9. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    Lowes employees suck ass, but lowes has more to choose from. HD has less chit, but the employees have more knowledge......

10. 2badfjs

2badfjs

lowes sell 10 lbs rolls of flux core welding wire
    hd does not

lowes sells a better cut of wheels
    hd does not

hd sells a good chop box blade
    lowes is twice as much

hd is in my home town
    lowes is on its way :D

lowes has more employees who ask if i need help
    hd ones walk right on by :mad:

my family ouned true value is quiting the buisness :frown:
    i cant find my fuel line spacers i need at lowes or hd for the smokin deal i got tv.:frown:

11. Poriomania

Poriomania

HD employees have been hit or miss as far as knowledge, assuming I can a hold of one long enough to ask a question. Usually I know what I want I just can't find it in the store, so Lowes is better since they have more people to help me find things.

12. REKCUT

REKCUT SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    My 2CW is that Lowes if for retail and HD is for contractors. If you know what you want and can find it on you own then HD. If you need help and dont know what your doing then Lowes. Less choice but more help

13. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

x2 x100

I hate the self checkout crap as well...if I'm going to do the work that their employees used to do, I expect to be paid for it...
    I won't use it unless they start giving out discounts for self checkout.

14. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

Lowe's fully sucks around here. Employee's are clueless, and their lines take forever.

I prefer United Rentals, White Cap, & mom & pop Electrical, Plumbing, & Welding supply outfits. As far as hardware stores are concerned, Pacific Hardware (Ace hardware) for nicknack's & patty whacks. All of these know what they are doing. Of course as a contractor I know what I want & when I go in I want it quick.

Home Depot if I must. Lowe's if I failed to mention sucks!!!

15. stevek

stevek

Those self check out things are a trip here. I had to hit a local HD not too long ago and the only lines open were the self check outs. Some poor dude in front of me had to physically scan 5 3/4" 4x8 sheets of plywood.

16. Zimm

Zimm

self checkout is nice with one or two items when a guy buying a a house thats not assembled yet, is in the normal aile.

17. JOFS

JOFS GOLD Star

I hate Home Depot and will not go there anymore. I drive 15 extra miles to go to lowes. Have had many things purchased at HD be returns that were used and repackaged. used and broken. Had a guy at home depot help us look for hardwood flooring once. He just walked around for half an hour telling people he was helping us though he just walked around, after the half hour, paged a guy who told him immediately where it was. At that time someone else called him and he couldn't help because it was time to go. He had killed his last 30 min at work doing nothing.

Anyway I can rant on more and more but prefer lowes.

John

18. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    Ah hell. I devoted a whole thread to how much Home Depot sucks.
    https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=87792

They can suck the sweat from inbetween my thigh and testicles during a long car ride.
    Case in point: I want to get a Weber grill during a Labor Day sale. Lowes doesn't carry many. Home Depot carries a bunch. I've got to keep looking cause Home s***-po ain't gettin' a penny from me ever again.:flipoff2: (without the smiley)

"Home Depot. You can do it. We can don't care.":mad:

19. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    actaully the local HD is a pretty dang good place, very helpfull(now) good stock(normaly) and really close to me.

20. swank60

swank60

Home Depot has the worst customer service in the retail industry. Some marketing company has been doing a TOP 10 Worst for retail service and HD is #1 pretty much every year. If they don't fix it, Lowes is going to take a huge chunk of their business.

I go to Lowes, usually. Mostly because I grew up back in VA and Lowes was there for years and years. I think they're based out of N. Carolina.