Which stub axles for Aisin Locking Hubs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ed, I was of the impression that the stub axle was not the deciding factor but rather the chrome peice that bolts to the hub is different lengths.

cruiser_guy said:
Ed, I was of the impression that the stub axle was not the deciding factor but rather the chrome peice that bolts to the hub is different lengths.

Yes, if you link to the link Brian posted, there is a pic. But it all relates to the axle length.
I know you are having axle length problems, too.

Thanks,

Ed

there most likely the shorter stub shaft birfs 79+ . that can be used with the older fj40's and warn hubs using a fender washer . just buy these and your aisins will probably fit. if he says they will fit up to 84 . then they must be the birfs your after . that what i'm guessing . he wouldn't have a hole pile of the 76-78 .birfs just laying around would he ???? . have to give him a call ?

You can put the later birf (the shorter 79'+ birf) in the earlier axles that have the "long" hub, the birf will not come through the hub body enough to use the snap ring, so you can run a fender washer and bolt (with loctite) in the end of the birf to keep it from walking inward, of course a martack would do about the same thing.

But, you cannot put the 76'-79' birf in a later axle using the "short" hub as it will protrude too much...

Hope that is clear?

Degnol said:
Yes, if you link to the link Brian posted, there is a pic. But it all relates to the axle length.
I know you are having axle length problems, too.

Thanks,

Ed

I've got my inner axle lengths sorted out today. I've got an oddball mid length inner here that I've got NO idea what it fits. The birfs I have here are all the same as the mini truck. I know when I did my daughters '76 FJ55 they told me that the Aisins were special for that period, and they are Aisins not Warn or something else.

pbgbottle said:
there most likely the shorter stub shaft birfs 79+ . that can be used with the older fj40's and warn hubs using a fender washer . just buy these and your aisins will probably fit. if he says they will fit up to 84 . then they must be the birfs your after . that what i'm guessing . he wouldn't have a hole pile of the 76-78 .birfs just laying around would he ???? . have to give him a call ?
Jake, he sells the '76-'78 Birfs, too. I bought one.

Kurt, I think I unner stan now. I'm just better off grinding my hubs to fit the later, shorter Birfs and looking for a set of Aisins.

CruiserGuy, Glad you got your problem resolved.

My axle is short, but it's not that big around either. Heh.

Ed

thats good to know i need a 76-78 birf one day i thought i would throw up some pics for something to do . you grind the end of the axle housing so the 79+ birf can fit into the older housing the bell wont fit in not your hub .
use.JPG
use 1.JPG
use 2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom