Which SM465 do I need? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read through some threads and I'm just confusing myself. What SM465 do I need, 2wd or 4wd and what spline count? I want to stick it between a 2F and a 4.7 Toybox. I've got a guy who wants to trade me the SM465 and an NP205 for some old tires, I just want to make sure I get one I can use. Thanks,

Geoff

You want the earlier 4wd version that came with the 10 spline output.

2wd versions had the 35 spline output-these are the most common.

Late 4wd came with a long stick out 32 spline output shaft-these are difficult to use for anything.

If you post a pic, I may be able to identify the combo, since I have a 465/205 combo sitting on the garage floor right now. Is your 205 a slip yoke version? Earlier versions had a standard yoke on the rear output, which is better than the later slip yoke.

Unfortunately for you, the sm465/205 versions came in both 4wd versions, so you won't know without a direct examination.

Rather than a Toybox, you might consider using a 203 doubler box and running the 205 case you are getting in the trade. It's a stronger set up and likely cheaper too. Several sources for this adapter, but look at Offroad Design's version.
ORD Doubler 4:1 Dual Transfer Case, NP205-NP203 - Fullsize 4x4 Parts

I'll see if I can get a pic. I've thought about the 203/205 doubler (I'm assuming you mean get rid of the split case, yes?), definitely still in the running. It's about half the price of the toybox.

It looks like the sm465 to 203 adapter is tough to source, and anyone speak to this?

It's tough to source. I got one through OrangeFJ45 ie Georg at Valley Hybrids in Stockton. He's a very helpful guy to deal with and recommend him without reservation. He got mine from a local yard where he has contacts.

Is it possible to tell if it's right by the trans input shaft? I have pics, but it's attached to a 205 and the owner doesn't want to pull them apart.

Is it possible to tell if it's right by the trans input shaft? I have pics, but it's attached to a 205 and the owner doesn't want to pull them apart.

No, the inputs are all the same.

Guy doesn't really know, kind of questionable where he got it. Seriously considering just getting yours Fred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom