Which Size of Winter Tire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, this is going to be our first winter together and I'm starting to look for some tires. The mountains around here get ice and snow but also every weekend I head up to Nagano for skiing so I need a dedicated snow tire. Right now the tires are Toyo 315 MT's and they look about just right with a 6 inch lift. The problem is 315 in a snow tire is pretty damned pricey but going smaller is going to look rather silly I imagine. I can't find a 255/85/16 in a snow tire and the next tallest and moderately priced seems to be a 285/75/16. It seems my only options are to shell out for the 315's or look really goofy from December to April.....

Also, these old Toyo's will be replaced with another MT in the spring. I could probably get away with using new MT's instead of snow tires but that's pretty risky I think. Any thoughts?

Currently with the Toyo's.
DSC_0047-1_zps49eb9836.jpg

mt and lack of sipes equals roll over, slide into, can't stop in time etc

I ran a dedicated winter in 235 85 r 16's with 4:88's last winter for a 350 mile trip.

Had lots of power and she wanted to rev, but I got home safely. It looked dorky with a four inch lift but safety doesn't care what you look like. Neither will your girlfriend/wifey if you come home daily because you have good traction.

I'm going to buy the geolander I/T in a 315. Not narrow enough for cutting down through snow but way better grip. Even all terrains can't cope with ice like a winter tire can.

You could always sipe your old mt's. However, they are not made out of flexible rubber like an ice radial and will not have the same grip as a dedicated winter.

Ya...I guess I'll have to get the 315's. I got 5 seasons out of a set of Blizzaks on my Prado so in the long run, with proper storage over the summer, a good winter tire is a good investment.

Studded Duratracs, mine were great for ski service and blizzard duty. You might not even need the studs as I have ran both with and without and they were still good.

I run a set of 285/75/16 Yokohama I/T's in the winter, and they work really well in most conditions. They are not studded (didn't want studs) but the soft rubber does better on ice than most tires. Just not as well as a studded tire. It does "decent" in sloppy snow/slush due to the deep tread depth, but the lug spacing isn't super wide. For nearly all other conditions they work really well. I very much prefer the 2-sets-of-tires system since I spend so much time in the snow in winter. You just can't beat a soft rubber formulation for winter use.

They do also make a 315 in that same tire if the bank account allows for it :)

DSCF2390.JPG

This is about average I guess....many, many meters.

regularwestJapan.jpg

40s in the winter 40s in the Sumer

I run a set of 285/75/16 Yokohama I/T's in the winter, and they work really well in most conditions. They are not studded (didn't want studs) but the soft rubber does better on ice than most tires. Just not as well as a studded tire. It does "decent" in sloppy snow/slush due to the deep tread depth, but the lug spacing isn't super wide. For nearly all other conditions they work really well. I very much prefer the 2-sets-of-tires system since I spend so much time in the snow in winter. You just can't beat a soft rubber formulation for winter use.

They do also make a 315 in that same tire if the bank account allows for it :)

Those are probably the size I'll be looking at. 315's are indeed a pretty fair chunk of change especially in the Bridgestone Blizzak which is considered the gold standard winter tire. No studs allowed in Japan either.

I didn't even know they made a blizzak in a 315. That would be a really nice tire. (They don't list that size at least on the US Bridgestone webpage). I don't recall the yokohama's being that pricey even in the larger sizes, compared to the other tires of that size.

I suspect the blizzak's demand a premium no matter what size they are in. And rightly so. The yoko's I got seem to be a great value for the type of tire they are.

Post pictures with whatever you get! I am looking forward to ski season but we've got a good 3 months before that happens here :)

Woop....I think you're right Coax...no 315's. 285 looks like the biggest size. It was the Geolander I/T in 315. They look to be about $250 a piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom