Which size MT/R's on a stock 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a lot of threads about tire size and got a lot of info. But with different tire brands being different sizes, I just wanted to ask before I buy them. My 80 is stock right now, but I'll probably lift the truck a little before these tires need replacing. It looks like my choices are 285 or 315 75-16. Thanks!

I ran 285/75R16 MT/Rs on my Cruiser with the stock suspension before I added an OME lift and I did not have any rubbing issues (but I did not do any challenging wheeling with that configuration either).

I ran 285/75/16 MT/Rs on a stock 93. You also have the option of 295/75/16 and 305/70/16, which may also work on a stock rig, but it might be close.

The largest tyre that will clear stock suspension, with stock wheels, is 305/70/16.
315/75/16 tyres require dropped bump-stops to prevent rubbing in extreme compression. The problem with lowering the stops with otherwise stock suspension is there is no travel left after you drop the stops....

DirtyHarry said:
I ran 285/75R16 MT/Rs on my Cruiser with the stock suspension before I added an OME lift and I did not have any rubbing issues (but I did not do any challenging wheeling with that configuration either).

Same here, no lift with ARB and Kaymar bumpers and no rubbing....

-Dog

so do you need to re-gear with anything more than the stock tire size?
sorry for the hijack...slee's site seems to infer a re-gear is needed for any larger size
thanks

ronin-0707 said:
sorry for the hijack...slee's site seems to infer a re-gear is needed for any larger size
thanks
It's what you can tolerate, definitely no need with 285's IMHO, I didn't even notice a difference, though some people say they do...

Thanks for all the great info! I was worried the search nazi's would come out! Can't wait to get new tires. These duelers blow!

I wonder how 315/75/16 mtr's will affect DD on a stock gears? :confused:

FJ809496TLC said:
I wonder how 315/75/16 mtr's will affect DD on a stock gears? :confused:

So long as you are willing to adjust your attitude towards acceleration, you'll be ok :D

I have 32s on my 80 right now but i wanna buy some 35s. With the 16in rim where can i buy some MTRs online?? Tanks :D

Here's a pic of some 285/75R16 MTRs on my stock '93 before I got a lift - look nice and meaty!

MTR_1.jpg

I was actually disappointed when I lifted it because they looked small...

Tucker

ronin-0707 said:
thanks

There are some on the board that run the 315's w/ stock gears and are happy w/ that set up. I am running 285's and have noticed very little difference, and I am going over passes all the time, lots of hills etc. You will notice a difference in shift points, but that can be cured with a new speedo gear or a Tru-Speed Calibrator.

Not sure what "Dueler's" you have, but the Revo's dont suck:flipoff2:

The Duelers I have are the H/Ls. Quiet but horrible snow traction and presumably off road too. Just not what they're made for. I'm sure it's a decent tire for it's purpose.
AP_11123.gif

Yeah, that doesnt look like much fun at all. Here is a pic of the Revo, great snow and ice traction and people seem to like them offroad as well ..... of course an MT is going to be better in the rocks, but it seems to do well for a DD/Trail Rig
bs_dueler_at_revo_wl_ci2_l.jpg

Slee's told me not to worry about re-gearing when just going to 285s.

--Eddie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom