Which SEM Adhesion Promoter is best for 60-Series: Sand Free or XXX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jamieson22

SILVER Star
Threads
I am looking to touch up my front grill (the non-chrome areas), center console, front speaker grills, and d-pillar vents. When I called SEM they said to see if acetone melts the plastic - if it does use Sand Free Adhesion Promoter 38363 else use XXX Adhesion Promoter 77723. Believe acetone melts ABS/PVC plastics so that is likely the diff. They also mention the Bumper Coater 39273 has XXX in it already so use Sand Free first if necessary.

Before I experiment and potentially melt the surface of these things I was hoping someone here had the correct info.

Also, was also told the process should be SEM PREP Soap 39362, then SEM Plastic & Leather PREP 38353, then adhesion promoter, and finally the final finish (Color Coat Graphite 15303 or Charcoal Bumper Coater 39273 or Medium Gray Bumper Coater 391893). Is that what most of you did or is some of this overkill?

I think I can say that most of us wipe the grille with brake cleaner and then use a spray bomb ;). Your method sounds totally valid, but perhaps overkill. There are a number of dark gray metallic paints that look great on grilles.

But, your caution may be in order, based on this: WDYD - What have you done to your 100 Series this week? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-100-series-this-week.609679/page-279#post-9917519 I have seen cheap aftermarket hubcaps melt when you spray bomb them, but never an OEM grille.

On the grille: before painting it try some 0000 steel wool. It brought back the "chrome" (actually just a heat shrinkable tape) on my grille and headlight bezels to 99%.

The problem with painting over the tape is that your primer & paint will only adhere insofar as the tape it adhering. And I've seen it peeling up on some grilles. Painting over that type of thing doesn't solve the problem, and trying to remove all of that is nearly impossible so I've found it best to not even start.

@SteveH and @CruiserTrash
For the grill I am only painting the horizontal grey/black slats not the chrome. I want to bring it back to OEM look and mine has faded showing the orange-ish plastic in spots. I plan to use SEM Charcoal Bumper Coater as I have heard that is best match. For grille just plan to clean it and paint.

The center console is what I was most concerned about to bring it back to new finish. I did reach out to SEM again via email and they told me to use XXX Adhesion Promoter. So plan to just follow their recs for Soap, then Prep, the XXX. Think a low lustre clear coat is worth it or overkill?

Also, does anyone know the match to the light colored trim on cargo area? The stuff running horizontal along cargo windows? Not sure I have seen that one mentioned anywhere.

Another interesting thing on the grill chrome: Saw someone mention they used 3M Mirror Wrap to refurb the peeling chrome.

That mirror wrap sounds just about like automotive "chrome trim tape", sounds like it would work.

Just spray the backside of the grille in one spot and see if it melts. Or use a drop of acetone. Its not going to melt like wizard of oz style. Its just going to get a little bit goopy in that tiny spot on the surface.

Put a drop of acetone on the backside of it somewhere let it sit for like a minute then wipe it away. If the paper towel sticks to it then use the sand free. I use sand free for all of my plastics in my fj60 and cars. I do sand free first. Then their high build primer to get an even surface and fill in any chips or nicks in the plastic. Then I use the colorcoat or the trim black. If your surface has texture like the dash in the is300 pictures below, dont use the high build on the textured areas or you will lose a little bit of the texture

I use the plastic prep > Sand Free >high build > colorcoat. Seems like a lot but the plastic prep and sand free are almost instant.

If you are doing the black parts of your grille, or any black plastics use landau black. Its their best black color in the color coat line.

Seems like a lot but if you go it well, you can get a REALLY good end result. Here are some examples:

3d printed dash bezel for my 60
DXDc1bbl.jpg

Refinishing my entire dash in my drift car. This is landau black.

aygEMPph.jpg

jAPfQJJh.jpg

yesUD9Nh.jpg

Wl348g6h.jpg

IW69eZJh.jpg

The color for the lighter grey dash is SEM Colorcoat 15163, like the lower dash portion and the hvac

The color for the darker grey other stuff is SEM 15303 Graphite

Black is SEM 15013 Landau Black

So Finally got my order together last night: for my '88 62.
  • SEM 39362 Soap
  • SEM 38352 Prep
  • SEM 77723 XXX
  • SEM 15303 Graphite (FJ62 center console and other interior panels)
  • SEM 39273 Charcoal (Front grill and D Pillar Vents)
  • Nissan K26 Hippo Grey/Night Armor (Metal trim on back of rear seat)
  • SEM 13023 Low Luster Clear Coat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom