Which rim for 265/75R16?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tojezakon.com
I've decided to use 265/75R16 tires. All tire manufacturers recommend rims from 7" to 8" for this tire size. The problem is, that 8" rims are very wide even for 275/70 tire. So ideal rims would be 7", which I can not get. The only options are stock 6.5" and 8" steel rims. As I plan to do a lot of aired down driving, I'm a bit skeptic about 8" rims. What are your experiences with rims narrower than suggested? I know that road handling should be worse. Anything else?
Some people even drive 12.5" tires on 6" or 7" rims, but that sounds insane to me. Another bonus of a 6.5" rim is that it can be used with a 235/85R16 tire. This is the most common tire size in Africa (beside 7,5R16).

Regards
Samo

SamoL said:
I've decided to use 265/75R16 tires. All tire manufacturers recommend rims from 7" to 8" for this tire size. The problem is, that 8" rims are very wide even for 275/70 tire. So ideal rims would be 7", which I can not get. The only options are stock 6.5" and 8" steel rims. As I plan to do a lot of aired down driving, I'm a bit skeptic about 8" rims. What are your experiences with rims narrower than suggested? I know that road handling should be worse. Anything else?
Some people even drive 12.5" tires on 6" or 7" rims, but that sounds insane to me. Another bonus of a 6.5" rim is that it can be used with a 235/85R16 tire. This is the most common tire size in Africa (beside 7,5R16).

Regards
Samo

I run 265/75/16's on stock LC rims, no problem. Stay with your stock rims. The 265/75's are a little taller and not much narrower. Plus, these are LT tires with stiffer side walls.

Ive got 265/75 on my stock 8" rims and 285's on my second set, both seem to sit on the rim nicely although I haven't given either a flogging aired down yet .

Yeah, 8" should be just fine for the 265s, though 6.5" I also think would work just find for a 265 tire; it's just a touch less than 10.5". http://tinyurl.com/99q9z

Yes, I know many folks who run 35x12.50s on 7" rims too, and actually think that's a good rim size for them.

The thing is: I'm buying steel wheels anyway. They are much heavier but can take much more punishement. The last thing you want far away from home is a broken rim. And 6.5" steel rims are much cheaper arround here ;). But if there is noone using 6.5" rims I guess I'll buy 8", as 8" are also suggested by tire manufacturers.

Regards
Samo

Me wanty! I am weary on 6.5" splits (for which I have an option) on my wife's daily driver 100, but would love non-split 6.5s, just too hard to source here...

Can anyone tell me the displacement of the standard LC100 ('98) rim? There are 7" Mangels rims (Brasilian made), but I don't know if they are for a LC100 or LC105.

Thanx
Samo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom