Which Pedals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While switching my old shimano SPD pedals over to my new bike I noticed there is a broken screw on one of them. This would probably be a good time to upgrade so what say Mud riders? I do like the SPD's but a buddy of mine is riding egg beaters but they seem uncomfortable....

Kevin

I've heard tons of stories about egg beaters breaking. I ride Time ATACs and love them. If I wasn't on those, it would be XT or XTR SPDs.

I have been 100% happy with spd's for 20 years. Running xt's now and love them.

I got time atac on all of my rides...
They are bomb proof

My second choice would be the frog pedals....

I hate my eggbeaters. I've never broken any, but I have bent the springs on several pairs by hitting them on rocks. They're cheap though, so I just plan on replacing them every 8 mos to a year.

The worst thing about them is that they slice the s*** out of my shins.

I've been riding Shimano SPDs for nearly 15 years. Honestly, I'd never switch from Shimano as the pedals last for years. Lately, there have been some great sales on the XTR's (50% off), so I switched. The XTR spindle bearing setup is much stronger than the XTs, and the clip in feels much more precise, or at least engineered to sound that way.

The Eggbeater advantage is weight. They're just darned light, but imo, it's not worth it as they are tough to disengage from, and get bent up to hell in rocky rides.

What can I say? I'm a sucker for Shimano.

ravewoofer said:
The Eggbeater advantage is weight. They're just darned light, but imo, it's not worth it as they are tough to disengage from, and get bent up to hell in rocky rides.
I disagree. The Eggbeaters are very easy to disengage from. And as far as being light, the weight savings is canceled by the weight of the cleat. They do bend on rocks, but it's the result of the design ( 2 steel loops hanging down under the pedal to hit the rocks ) rather than any flimsiness of the materials.

Friend of mine swears by his Time MTB pedals. Do they still make them?

I disagree. The Eggbeaters are very easy to disengage from.

I've never used them, but rode with a buddy who kept falling over a few times every ride because he couldn't get a shoe out from the pedal when things got dicey.

He switched to Shimano pedals, then switched to road riding. :lol::lol:

Long time eggbeater user here. I like them. They work well in mud and snow. Yeah I've smashed them on rocks and broken them but Crank Bros replaces them. Easy to get in and out of.

I have used both SPD and eggbeaters. in my experience eggbeaters are much easier to en/disengage, they have a lot more float, and are apt to bending/breaking if you ride in really rocky sutff. Personally I like the SPD's more because you can crank them down really hard and they become a SOB to get out of...which is a double edged sword.

1 vote for SPDs.

even the pro DH riders are coming back to SPDs.

+1 on Time Atac

...and I don't trust anything from Crank Brothers.

...and I don't trust anything from Crank Brothers.

Man, I love my CB Colbalt wheelset. Strong, fast and light. I've set them up with UST Kenda Nevegal 2.1 DTC--no Stan's sauce needed.

In fairness, I had two warranty issues, both solved no questions asked and lickety split.

1. Freehub imploded leaving me stranded and hiking out of the woods far from home.

2. Rear wheel began to crack on two of the spoke tabs. No catastrophic failure, in fact no failure at all, but obviously ready to implode. It took nearly 2 years of serious riding for that, so I couldn't complain.

I've been riding SPDs for 15 years. Never broken a Shimano one. I have quite a few pairs. Seen all the others. I don't see any benefit. Once in a great while I have to twist twice to push the mud out to get a solid clip. :meh:

Still riding my 737 shimano spd's.

FWIW When I transitioned from the old "clipped" pedal to clip less I went with the CB candies for starters. Then I upgraded to the CB eggbeaters. I love those pedals they work really well for me. On the other hand one of my buddies also started with the candies and found that he had trouble with disengaging. He switched to SPD's and loved them from the start. I think it is a personal thing as far as feel. Have yet to break any of mine although I have bent all of them at one time or another.

Good luck

I rode a bike yesterday for a couple of miles with eggbeaters on it and couldn't get the hang of them. Not sure if I have retarded feet or what but I'll probably be going back to the SPD's..

thx

I have speed play frogs. They do offfer a lot of foot rotation, but they need to be clean to engage reliably. Unless you have a physical or medical reason for needing rotation, I would not recommend them.

The Alum Time ATAC's... Bomb proof and once you learn to unclip/clip into them it's all good.

I like the SPD's but wonder about what happens if you get enough Mud or sand in them...

Time ATACs - bullet-proof!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom