Which Optima Battery?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to replace my battery. Which Optima battery is recommended for a starting/winching. Would the red top get me by?? I also have an electric fan on my Chevy V8 that seems to drain my current battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

red or yellow will work, go yellow

nad if your gonna sit for awhile unhook the cable, or find the source of the drain

Search on Optima - you will find lots of opinions.

Some like 'em, some don't.

If your mind is made up, then don't go changing horses in midstream.....

Rocky

I'm looking to replace my battery. Which Optima battery is recommended for a starting/winching. Would the red top get me by?? I also have an electric fan on my Chevy V8 that seems to drain my current battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
A few weeks ago I emailed optima with that very question - their reply was to use the yellow top, the red top is strictly for starting, winching is considered abusive to the battey. The yellow top is a deep cycle battery. I emailed them at questions@optimabatteries.com

I've run a "Yellow Top" for years. I have lights, big stereo, V-8 but, I do not have a winch yet. Probably go with a dual set-up with a winch, that's just me though.

The "Yellow Top" has never giving me any issues at all.

Good luck!!
Tim

Tim

I run one blue and one yellow D31

22.jpg

12.jpg

Both are rated the same but the Blue Marin grade has extra terminals and I'm told is a better construction due to the enviroment it lives in. Better protected against vibration

I have nothing but good things to say for both.

I just picked up a new red top from a guy who is going out of business, 75 bux. can't beat that with a stick... I don't run anything heavy in my 40 so it will work just fine.....

I use the blue top and it has been in my 40 for a number of years. There are two blue tops. One is rated for starting and deep cycle applications and the other is strictly for deep cycle applications. When I'm not driving it the battery is hooked to a Battery Tender Jr.. I also use the same Battery Tender Jr. to keep my two yellow tops in my turbo diesel fully charged when not driven.
Battery 01.jpg

Have run reds and dual reds for many years, 12V and 24V setups. Have had great luck with them. I have a blue (basically yellow with extra posts) in the FJ62 now.

When in doubt...use one of each. :D
dualbatt2.JPG

I run the Red Top dual post. I buy them new at Costco for $100.00

For the longest time the costco near me only had the reds. Was in there the other day and they have the yellows and the blues as well. The didn't have a sign on them though, so I didn't catch the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom