Which one would you go with? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I am lookin at two winchs from jwrestorations. one is a war winch that he says worked when it was pulled. and the sencond one is a pto winch that is beat up and the condition is unknown. what is needed to get the pto one workin, is it a better deal than the warn? please help :crybaby:

If the Warn winch is an 8274, I would go with that, hands down, over ANY other winch. I have used and abused too many of them over the years, and they just keep working. Key to this is a properly set up electrical system.

There is no other electrical winch that will be on the front of my Land Cruiser.

If the PTO set up is complete, and they do not want a pile for it...then that may be an option for you too...They are a good winch, I have a few of them and have used them.

Good luck!

-Steve

If it is the PTO that is on Ebay stay clear. The main housing is broken. Yes it can be band aided, but there are other gremlins waiting to.

The key to any PTO setup is to make sure you get all of the parts from the get go and they are in straight condition. The hard parts to find are the pillow block and the tapered spacers that go under the rear angle iron piece. You also want to get all of the shift linkage and so forth. Getting a comple setup is usaully pricey, especially when it is complete from the head unit all the way to and including the PTO unit.

Good luck!

Bad thing with the PTO is the vehicle has to be running. Not so easy if you have goofed up and are using your winch to pull out of deep water or are on your side. Just my.02 :popcorn:

Not sure if it makes a difference, but he winch on the the link is a 24 volt winch.

in order to use the pto winch, you need to have a pto drive (mounts off the t case) and all the related shift mechanisms and driveshaft.

I just bought the 9.5ti by Warn. I haven't used it yet so I can't say it rocks. But even though the 8274 is 8 fpm faster with no load The 9.5 is faster under load and the Amperage is lower. Not to mention several hundred dollars less than the 8274.

I usually see 8274 every so often on colorado 4x4 ~$400. The one TLC has is a 24v for our diesel buddies :)

the Warn on Ebay is a 24volt, won't work(or right) I don't think with a 12v system

74fj40 said:
thanks guys, i think ill go with the warn.

I wouldn't in your situation. As has been mentioned, it's 24 volt, which means you'll either need a somewhat complicated dual battery setup ($$), or need to swap out the motor ($$). Plus the spool is broken which shouldn't be too expensive, but it's still extra hassle and not a good sign of what it went through in its former life. Account for the fact that it'll probably sell for $200, and you'd be dollars ahead to find a decent used one with cable and fairlead for $500, which seems to be a fairly reasonable price for all the ones I've seen.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom