Which one to keep? LX450 or 3rd Gen 4runner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After owning a first gen Tacoma and now an FZJ80, this is my .02 on the pros and cons of both. Note that the 3rd gen 4runner has differences like a stronger frame, coil springs all round, and full time 4wd in the later years. Even so, at least some of this still applies.

Tacoma/4runner

Pros:
lighter, quicker, more nimble on tight tracks, more practical/economical as a DD, 5 speed manual available, cloth interiors more common, parts/maintenance usually cheaper, usually newer, can usually get into one cheaper
Cons: Weak and rust prone frames (at least on the Tacomas), weak rack and pinion, weak LBJs, sketchier to drive in rain/snow (on part time models), will break more given the same amount of abuse (assuming the same mechanical baseline condition)

FZJ80

Pros:
Will take more abuse, much stronger drivetrain, easier to get/fit F/R lockers, easier to lift/fit big tires, more planted on the road, better build quality, can fit more people/stuff, slightly more suspension travel, more stable going over obstacles, comfier ride with coil springs
Cons: Abysmal fuel economy, only auto available, parts and maintenance pricier, faux-luxury interiors that tend to fall apart, older, too big and heavy for a lot of tight tracks, more prone to overheating/brake issues given the same amount of neglect

Overall, I'd say if you wanna add armor and go bigger than 33s and do remote touring, very difficult rocky tracks, the 80 series is a better choice. If you wanna keep it relatively light and have a nice backwoods rig, stick with the 4runner. Stock for stock they're pretty much a wash off road given the same amount of lockers.

I'd say the 80 probably has a longer lifespan given the same amount of maintenance, but that maintenance is more costly than a 4runner. Also, keep in mind the 80 series is an older truck and they have often been neglected, especially when they tanked in value in the Obama era.

It's very easy to find yourself with an overpriced fixer-upper nowadays with all the hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom