Which one is the transmission return line? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
coachglenndavis.com
Tomorrow I will install a new transmission filter and flush the fluid. Can someone tell me which of these lines is the return line? I want to disconnect the hose at this point to remove as much as the old fluid as possible without disturbing the new fluid with old. Is it the top one that goes to the right, or the bottom one that goes to the left?

Transmission lines.JPG

Last edited:
When i flush the transmission fluid, I didn’t unplug the hose at this area. I unplug it at the transmission cooler in the front.

Thank you. This is the way @NLScooby recommended. Sounds like there is no concern to leave the little amount of fluid from the connection above back to the pan.

I just did this last weekend, and I took it from the cooler port in the engine bay.

There's really no need to take it from the port at the vacuum pump as there will be no fluid in the line. It all drains to the pan when the motor is off.

On that subject - when you're doing your final level check bear in mind that fluid from the cooler and the lines will drain into the pan when you shut the truck off. Perhaps I didn't follow the directions correctly but I took out the overflow plug with the motor off and a solid quart of fluid came out - when I started the motor and the fluid began circulating again the pan level was low. So I essentially wasted a quart of fluid.

When you're doing your final level checks, make sure the overflow plug is installed whenever the truck is off.

Yes, most automatic transmissions will raise the oil level substantially when shut off as fluid normally necessary for opration drains back to the pan from the clutch packs. They usually have you check level when running, with warm fluid, to represent the running state of the transmission.

We don't use a dipstick but the same concept applies. Your post is a good reminder to follow the procedures closely.

@molanginaeda @VooDoo2 @bloc @Mixelplix Thank you for your input and staying in the conversation to be sure it's all tidy.

I'll follow the procedure as defined by the Project 200 website and @NLScooby . After reading everyone's input and experience, it's just best to drain from the front due to easy access and monitoring, and the fluid in the return line back to the pan will simply flow into the pan. And special thanks to @Mixelplix for telling us what not to do even though ALL of us are capable of doing the exact same thing. Sir, your honesty has saved a ton of frustration for me and others.

@RT Cruiser not a problem.

Also be aware that there can be up to a 15 second time difference between when you start the truck and when fluid actually comes out of the line in the front. Don't be alarmed, that's normal.

@RT Cruiser not a problem.

Also be aware that there can be up to a 15 second time difference between when you start the truck and when fluid actually comes out of the line in the front. Don't be alarmed, that's normal.

Ok, will do. Thanks

Maybe a few dumb questions ....

How often do you change out the trans fluid? and at what mileage to you first change it out?
How do you check the level? is a temp think like MB or just a dip stick?
What kind of trans fluid is needed?

and do you pump some out, put some it (like 3 quarts at a time) like with the Merc. Benz methods?

@Fisher23 Good questions. Sounds like you are taking this seriously. Unfortunately, Toyota designed the 200 series with no dipstick. Most Toyota service advisors will tell you there’s no need to change the fluid. However, there’s a lot Cruiser experts on this forum (which I am not one) who strongly believe it’s best to change the fluid to maintain the integrity of the transmission.

Many people here will tell you to use Toyota fluid. I’m using Valvoline Full Synthetic ATF that, according to the tech people at Valvoline whom I have spoken with, exceeds the Toyota World Standard (WS) fluid. As with how I have maintained my other vehicles, after the flush I’ll do this week I will do a pan drain and refill at every other oil change. Part of our driving includes the insane Denver traffic and the 4x4 roads in the mountains. Hence, our transmission is heavily relied upon in both 4 hi and 4 low. How you drive, what you tow, the weather environment, and so on will help guide you when to change.

If your LC has at least 75k on it, I’d say flush the system.

Here are some videos to watch first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom