Which one first? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,
As you can see I am new to this forum so please forgive my ignorance. I am somewhat new to the Land Cruiser. Up to this point in time I have been a '72 Chevy guy, having restored and sold my last one recently. Here is my dilemma. My father-in-law has a '76 FJ40 i am considering. It is as stock as they come with some body rot thrown in. I have also found a '71 FJ40 that I can buy for $800.00! It is pretty much stock except for the engine. Someone down the tree of ownership installed a Chevy inline 6. My plan is to drive one or the other while I tear into the other. This will be strictly a daily driver and an occasional take it to the hills to go fishing. I am wanting to do the SBC conversion with 4 speed tranny. I suppose that I could ultimately do both, but which one would you all tear into first. The '71 has less rot, but I am looking at doing an alum. tub. Thanks!

Rich

I would tear into the '71 and fix that one up first. You never know how badly a PO has hacked into the vehicle. Rip out the chebby 6er and put in the 350.

Then restore your father in laws '76. This way you get the best of both worlds and you mostlikly get brownie points with the father in law.

I might go the other way with it. Your 76 should already have the 4 speed as well as front disk brakes, so if you are going to be doing the 350 conversion, you are already on your way with the tranny you want, as well as disc brakes, which is another desireable conversion. But it is your cruiser!

Good Luck

The pitfall here is getting disallusioned by the amount of work you're considering. It has taken me 5 years of research and parts gathering to start on my build up. I can't imagine doing two cruisers. Decide which of the two can wait and start on the other. Take the time to plan the rig. Nothing worse than getting into the project and having to re-do something.

If you are going to keep it a DD then why go with a 350? Overkill I'd say, get yourself a good reliable 2F and it'll last ya quite a while and you'll save a little bit of the Ozone and prevent global warming. :D

But for reals it's not worth the gas mileage. :frown:

Welcome to MUD! :beer:

Hi All:

It is sorta a toss-up; the '71 has better sheetmetal (read: thicker, better alloy) yet the '76 has a more modern drive train (front disc brakes, 4 speed tranny. Ideally one would combine the two rigs to make one re-built truck.

What are your strengths as an auto hobbyist? Body work or drive train/engine mechanicals?

If mechanical is your strong suit then go with the rig with a better body tub (no need for the alum. body tub IMHO.)

After working on restosring a '72 Chevy I'm sure you will have little problem working on a FJ40; they are quite simple rigs.

Best of luck with the project!

Alan
Seattle

I'd do the 76'

propilot said:
Hello All,
As you can see I am new to this forum so please forgive my ignorance. I am somewhat new to the Land Cruiser. Up to this point in time I have been a '72 Chevy guy, having restored and sold my last one recently. Here is my dilemma. My father-in-law has a '76 FJ40 i am considering. It is as stock as they come with some body rot thrown in. I have also found a '71 FJ40 that I can buy for $800.00! It is pretty much stock except for the engine. Someone down the tree of ownership installed a Chevy inline 6. My plan is to drive one or the other while I tear into the other. This will be strictly a daily driver and an occasional take it to the hills to go fishing. I am wanting to do the SBC conversion with 4 speed tranny. I suppose that I could ultimately do both, but which one would you all tear into first. The '71 has less rot, but I am looking at doing an alum. tub. Thanks!

Rich

Is your father in law going to give or sell you his truck? Or are you talking about going to work for him?

Did you buy the '71 or is it just a bird in a tree?

If either of the cruisers is YOURS, fix that one.

honk said:
Is your father in law going to give or sell you his truck? Or are you talking about going to work for him?

Did you buy the '71 or is it just a bird in a tree?

If either of the cruisers is YOURS, fix that one.

I am buying the '76 from my Father-in-law and the '71 is sitting in my hangar as we speak!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom