Which oil pan in LS 6.0 Swap - 1979 FJ40 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read a few posts about oil pan suggestions when performing LS swaps, but I was unable to find an answer so I'm posting this in hopes of finding someone that has put a 6.0 in a FJ40 leaving the tranny and transfer case in it's original location.

I have a 79 FJ40.
Bought Advance Adapters kit that connects the LS 6.0 to the stock transmission (with a spacer adapter) and leaves the original 4-speed driveline (from the transmission back) in the original location.

The 6.0 is bigger than a small block Chevy and the current issue is that the front driveshaft is about 1.5" into the Oil pan.

Current oil pan is a 6.0 Silverado Oil pan which I'm prepared to replace and the purpose of this post is to see what others have used that went with a 6.0.

It is a front sump pan and the DS is hitting the back right corner.

I've heard that H3 oil pans will work but the question is (Has anyone used one on a 6.0 swap?).
The Corvette Pan looks like the best option since it is only 4.8" inches tall at the sump instead of the truck pan which is 8.3" tall.

If anyone out there has been there and done that with a 6.0, please let me know what pan you have used.

Current Plan: To source and test a C6 Corvette Oil Pan which has the same width at the sump but is several inches shorter.

I know there are always other options such as cut/modify the oil pan, move the engine, etc... but if I can simply switch the oil pan to fix the problem, I'd prefer to go that route.

Many Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Is your engine mounted on the center line of the frame, or off-set 1" to the drivers side like the 6 cylinder was ??? AA also sells a smaller front universal joint and slip yoke that could be used with a smaller diameter front drive shaft tube if you were interested in going that route.

I did this, used camaro pan and if I lift front drive shaft up level it just rubs corner of pan. That said drive shaft will never go there because I have my bump set so it stops right there and I have a pan skid(since its alum.) that the shaft will barely rub if it stuff hard, never had an issue and I run a cv on the front output that is 1.5mm from the sm420 hump and at level the cv does not rub the trans, it will take the paint off it tho its that close, never rubbed unless shackles are loose, if shackle get loose that shaft at stuff might rub corner of the pan skid or pan if no skid. Run the pass side exhaust forward and around pan sump then to a Y about 4" behind clutch slave the driver side dumps into Y and will be close to slave & hose so get heat shield for hose and build a tin/alum shield for slave & wrap exhaust all around pan and by slave with thermal wrap, tedious but helps alot. Mine cools fine with stock fj40 radiator, stock 6.0 fan and customshroud.

The camaro pan I used got on rock auto came with a pickup.
Use 1 truck / denali manifold and 1 camaro, cant recall which side waswhich,

Another plug for the Camaro pan. Lots of them available on ebay as they are frequently removed from new crate motors. Tom woods will make a reversed and/or narrowed driveshaft for a reasonable price if you need more clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom