Which Oil Filter Would You Rather Use?(TRD/OEM) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also what gave you the idea that the filter was only intended for TRD Tundras?

When selecting parts for my 08 TLC on various sites, the TRD filter doesn't come up. I have to manually find it, or search using a vehicle with the 5.7l (ie. Tundra).

Clearly it will work perfectly well in a TLC as the filter only knows what engine it's strapped to and nothing more. It may be more of a marketing thing. There has never been a "TRD Land Cruiser"....so maybe the TRD filter isn't generally associated with the TLC on many sites? Either way, it's a great filter and the one I choose to use....although I am curious about the similar looking Amsoil filter, I like the idea of using a filter that is specifically engineered for use with my specific engine, and by extension, the specific oil type recommended for that exact engine. General purpose filters tend to be just that, designed to work for a wide variety of engines and oils....which is great for general use or if your vehicle doesn't have a high-end option (such as Toyota TRD). But if you have the option of getting a super high-quality filter, specifically engineered for your exact engine and oil type by some of the best/most thorough engineers in the auto industry, that's gunna be pretty damn tough to beat....even by Amsoil.

When selecting parts for my 08 TLC on various sites, the TRD filter doesn't come up. I have to manually find it, or search using a vehicle with the 5.7l (ie. Tundra).

Clearly it will work perfectly well in a TLC as the filter only knows what engine it's strapped to and nothing more. It may be more of a marketing thing. There has never been a "TRD Land Cruiser"....so maybe the TRD filter isn't generally associated with the TLC on many sites? Either way, it's a great filter and the one I choose to use....although I am curious about the similar looking Amsoil filter, I like the idea of using a filter that is specifically engineered for use with my specific engine, and by extension, the specific oil type recommended for that exact engine. General purpose filters tend to be just that, designed to work for a wide variety of engines and oils....which is great for general use or if your vehicle doesn't have a high-end option (such as Toyota TRD). But if you have the option of getting a super high-quality filter, specifically engineered for your exact engine and oil type by some of the best/most thorough engineers in the auto industry, that's gunna be pretty damn tough to beat....even by Amsoil.

A TRD product isn't at all only meant to work with a TRD labeled vehicle. Most of them are just upgraded parts to put into standard toyotas. As such, it totally makes sense that a TRD filter would be designed to fit into a standard landcruiser.. and outside of the quality issue with these filters I posted about a while back, like you I do think they are worth the extra cost.

Realistically? The factory filter is probably fine for many, many miles. But yes synthetic media is "better", and since we apparently aren't scrounging for pennies, we can run it.

I'm 99.9% sure the cruiser not coming up within listings for this filter is simply an oversight by TRD. And really, a bad one. They should know how many of us are OCD about our 200s and willing to buy stuff like this. FYI their brake pads don't come up for a cruiser either last time I checked, but they definitely bolt in and work great.

Reactions: D19

When you play with part numbers and Toyota part websites, you start to realize there are inconsistencies even between sites that seem to offer the same catalog through the same software/backend. 🤷‍♀️

For the TRD filter in question:
McGeorge Toyota
filter.jpg

Local Toyota dealer part website (Modern Toyota)
Even has this in description:
This product fits 391 vehicle variants.
Toyota: 3 models, 391 variants between 2007 and 2021.
filter2.jpg

Just did my first change and subbed in the TRD filter. It does not fit snug on the support tube likr the old filter. From what I have read in this thread and others this is ok and expected. Can anyone else confirm that has run this filter? Just makes me a little skittish it isn't snug.

Just did my first change and subbed in the TRD filter. It does not fit snug on the support tube likr the old filter. From what I have read in this thread and others this is ok and expected. Can anyone else confirm that has run this filter? Just makes me a little skittish it isn't snug.
It is fine. The gasket on top of the TRD filter seals against the top of the filter housing, ensuring oil doesn’t bypass the filter element.

Yes, it is supposed to be that way. Everything is OK!

Thank you guys for the peace of mind on the filter fit!

This was the first change on a MY2021 and I did it at 4,990m. Was curious to see if there were any metal fines which I have read about some on here so I ran the old oil by some strong magnets that I placed near the drain hole on the oil pan. Got a few fines but nothing alarming.

20210829_120510.jpg

Noticed that yesterday. TRD brake pads are also NLA.

We can probably assume the TRD filter was produced for toyota by someone who’s business it is to make filters.. any idea who that is as an alternate source?

I’ve been using TRD for four years but would have no problem running non-counterfeit original filters.

Google the part number, there's plenty places still selling it. I've noticed a couple part websites that use a particular backend (Southern States Toyota) are showing NLA for parts that are definitely still available. I had a website tell me I couldn't order a serpentine belt for a 5.7 anymore... I don't think that's right either.

We can probably assume the TRD filter was produced for toyota by someone who’s business it is to make filters.. any idea who that is as an alternate source?

Champion Laboratories, Inc. are the manufacturer. Their Part# is P979XL. See it on their site here: Champion Labs LC200/LX570 Oil Filter

HTH

Just use a mobil 1 syn filter:

Mobil 1™ Extended Performance Oil Filter M1C-453A​

I just ordered a bunch of the factory filters from the sale another member posted the other day. Like $2.50 each. They work well and are cheap. I can't think of any reason to use another filter.

I am wary of buying Toyota filters from random online places, because there's genuine and then there's fake Toyota filters. I am led to believe that the test for Toyota filters is to squeeze the filter. The genuine filter has structural strength, so it's difficult to squeeze it out of its round shape.

It's amazing that in the USA the engine oil filters are so cheap. In Australia, the stealer charges AUD$30+ per filter! That equates to USD$22 each!

I order filters from USA and even with the exhorbitant cost of shipping, they are still half the price to the local dealer's asking price.

Last edited:
I spoke with my friend at a local parts counter, the filters don't show available because of backorder. He said those appear to be only 2-weeks.. but other TRD parts like front brake pads are 200+ sets backordered with no ETA. So they may have elected to pull some of the TRD parts from the websites to reduce buildup of back orders.

Either way he said these filters had not been discontinued.

I bought them from a Toyota dealer. I highly doubt they're selling knock offs.

For $4 for the oil filter from my local Toyota dealer I'm not sure why you would buy anything else...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom